Time for a modern TIG machine. What do you like?

Thanks for the discussion and input. I think my choices are down to three: HTP Invertig 301, Miller Syncrowave 250 DX (if fully optioned), and the Dynasty 210. All three can overlap in price but there are a lot of factors in arriving at a deal. The HTP represents the best value, and they deliver to my door. The other options will come down to opportunity and diligence, as always is the case with machinery.

Everlast powertig 250ex here. Absolutely no complaints for my hobby use.

Its a lot of dials and knobs instead of display panels (the amperage display is digital) but its also approx 1,000 bucks less expensive than the next highest model, the 255ext.

I would recommend it to friends or buy another if I needed to.

Another vote for the HTP Invertig 221 (with water cooler).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another vote for the HTP Invertig 221 (with water cooler).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m only putting my 2c in so I don’t lose track. I’d started looking at a small tig setup and several mentioned Everlast but the one that got my most attention was the Primeweld 225X. There are a bunch of reviews on YouTube that just love it and say it’s more than a hobby tig. And for less than $1000 with what seems like all the bells and whistles it’s $300 cheaper than the HF Ac/dc tig and seems a much better machine. But I’m not a tig welder and having to do a lot of research to make up for experience.

One suggestion I have after doing a lot of shopping for my welder is look at video reviews specifically looking at the user interface. This is something that differs from brand to brand. I used Miller almost exclusively while learning to weld which I am sure had an impact on my control preferences. I was primarily looking at the Miller 215, and 220, Lincoln 210mp and Esab 205 and 215. All of these machines are very similar in performance and reputation, but I liked the user interface on Miller the best.

The fact my local welding supply can service Lincoln and Miller in house also helped sway my decision, some brands require shipping the machine out for repairs which can get expensive. This is one benefit I can see to HF among the import brands, any trouble in the warranty period, just go to HF and swap for a new one.

Last edited:
One suggestion I have after doing a lot of shopping for my welder is look at video reviews specifically looking at the user interface. This is something that differs from brand to brand. I used Miller almost exclusively while learning to weld which I am sure had an impact on my control preferences. I was primarily looking at the Miller 215, and 220, Lincoln 210mp and Esab 205 and 215. All of these machines are very similar in performance and reputation, but I liked the user interface on Miller the best.

The fact my local welding supply can service Lincoln and Miller in house also helped sway my decision, some brands require shipping the machine out for repairs which can get expensive. This is one benefit I can see to HF among the import brands, any trouble in the warranty period, just go to HF and swap for a new one.
As with anything, software or hardware, it has a lot to do with what you learned on. Besides the glowing reviews on YouTube of the Primeweld 225 and them getting 100% on customer service including paying for shipping, the complete controls with individual knobs is a big deal for me. Most younger people don’t mind small digital interfaces that you scroll through menus. I am NOT wired that way and hate them with a passion. So the 225 having all the controls over parameters that some cheaper machines don’t even have right on the face with well marked knobs totally appeals to me. Also there are several of the lower end HF, and Everlast machines for sale used. I have a tendency to wonder why. Unless it’s one of the machines I’m interested in then all logic and caution is forgotten:)

@C-Bag the analog controls on the Primeweld were a big selling point for me as well. Trying to learn TIG technique and the interface simultaneously was not appealing. Plus it's easy to reach up and tweak one setting without having to navigate to a function that's two levels deep while wearing gloves.
Of all the machines I looked at on the HTP InverTIG 221 had a comprehensible interface. But that comes at a very high price.

Back