TIG torch choices?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My welder is a 200A MIG, with the option for Lift-TIG, and was not supplied with the TIG torch, so I have to purchase that separately to get a setup that works. Please allow that I don't yet know anything about TIG other than the working principle, so I am fumbling around a bit.

I have established that for TIG, the gas and the power do not come out the same socket on (my) welder, as like for MIG.
The end of the cable to the torch has to end up with two tails, one for gas, the other for the current - or have some adapter, or Y-Junction arrangement.

I use here some example images from eBay, for illustration..
Going for 200A may not be entirely necessary, unless one day I get into TIG on aluminium, but it seems sensible to get one that matches the capability of the welder. Also, If I went for 4m (about 12ft), it would mean I need not drag cylinders around.

The Polish manual says the type needed is "TIG 17V". I assume this means "WP-17V, but I see some candidates labeled WP-17FV. I have guessed the "V" means there is a little gas valve tap knob on the torch handle. I don't know what the "F" means.

Simple separates
TIG-1.png
The first picture shows what amounts to two separate pipes put up one rubbery overjacket. The electrical connector looks the right style for the welder. only 10ft long, it has the valve, OK for 200A, and the gas connection is 3/8" BSP. This one costs £55 (£76.32)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Denim?
Then you get another style, This one also has the separate pipe and electrics, and the sheath cover looks as if made from charity blue jeans denim. This one comes with a caution about Jasic new version fittings, but here I note there is an "extra" connection. Is that for ON/OFF control or something?
TIG-2.png

Superflex??
The next one is "CK" brand, and is much more expensive. It will require some kind of extra adapter to get the connection and the gas going up it. This red thing at least does not sport feature denim. Cost is £79 ($109.18).
TIG-3.png - - TIG-3a.png
I have to assume that this kind has power and gas available all in one socket receptacle on the welder, though might be usable with some kind of adapter.

An adapter!
I had thought that this Parweld adapter was just the thing. There is what looks like a place to put gas up, and I can see the electrical connection. Then I see one mentions water cooling. Another does not mention water, and has a strange push-on connection though in either case, I still have no idea how it gets up to the torch. Is that screw thread "standard"?

TIG-4.png - - TIG-4a.png

The "extra" cable.
We come to a "Parweld" brand setup. This may be all I need, but I see the extra cable in there .This one is less costly, £40 ($55.28)
The designation is WP17-12-2SW-TELF, which may imply the grey cable perhaps for a handle-mounted ON/OF switch.
Whatever it is, it does not seem to have a valve knob.

TIG-5.png

So far, I am mostly striking out. These choices leave the questions..
1. Is the super flexible a good thing? Sure, but how good does it need to be for the price?
2. So far, I have not seen a setup that would simply connect up to in a working arrangement. What should I be aiming for?
3. What does "F" mean in WP-17FV ?
4. All the TIG torches I see look much the same, and are basically simple things. What features are worth taking the price beyond $120 or so?

I have not even started on all the other consumables. I see sets of quartz cups, and little pink cups, and "shorter" looking collet thingys, and I am thinking .. Hmm, do ceramic cups things actually "wear out"? At least I know tungsten is tungsten, but I am sure there will be types with additives.

This stuff may seem obvious to many, but I don't want to have to buy everything in the shop before I come up with the subset that works.

Last edited:
I can only comment on the CK torch. I have a CK WP-17FV flex torch on my Primeweld. It's a great torch. The flexible neck is useful when working in tight quarters.
The superflex hose is exactly that, it doesn't feel like an unwieldy snake trying to wrest control of the torch. It's about as flexible as a soft rope of similar size.

I can only comment on the CK torch. I have a CK WP-17FV flex torch on my Primeweld. It's a great torch. The flexible neck is useful when working in tight quarters.
The superflex hose is exactly that, it doesn't feel like an unwieldy snake trying to wrest control of the torch. It's about as flexible as a soft rope of similar size.
Aah Ha! Thanks for the reply David. That is likely what the "F" means - it stands for "flexible".
So the CK in the pictures is exactly like the one you have?

I begin to have hopes that the coupling on the end of the hose, which apparently takes the gas up to the torch, as well as making the connection to the power, would fit onto one of the adapters, which gives a way of introducing the gas from the side port.

Yes, mine is exactly like the CK torch in your picture.
I can't offer any guidance on hose connections unfortunately. Perhaps a call/email to CK would yield benefits. I hear their customer service is excellent.

Go for the 200A torch. A 17 series will get very hot, even at moderate levels. The 26 Trimline from CK with a superflex and don't look back. It is beefy, but use a short back-cap and stubby consumables and it is quite manageable.

Yes, mine is exactly like the CK torch in your picture.
I can't offer any guidance on hose connections unfortunately. Perhaps a call/email to CK would yield benefits. I hear their customer service is excellent.
I am at the point where I think a bit of careful reading can get me to the point I get stuff that will go together.
In the extreme, I am sure I can fashion my own adapters, if I have to.

On the point from @General Zod , do you find the size 17 torch gets real hot to handle?
Most of the welding stuff I ended up with was driven by his advice anyway, so I am minded to keep on going that way.

This piece, I think, is the very first part I need.
TIG-6.png

It gets the electricity and the gas onto what looks like a "standard" 3/8 BSP connection, which can then feed a single tube to torch. I don't really fancy sheaths with multiple pipes and cables going up it, though I can see that triggers, and switches could be handy. I am looking to add a foot switch.

If i get far enough into this, then I will consider a dedicated TIG welder, but not yet.

So regarding the adapter above, what carries the current to the torch? Is there a braided sheath over the hose made of copper strands?
Just wondering
-Mark

So regarding the adapter above, what carries the current to the torch? Is there a braided sheath over the hose made of copper strands?
Just wondering
-Mark
One gets purpose-made round tube, like the CK brand, which contains the current conductors, and the gas pipe. I don't think it is a braid, More like the normal spiral of flexible fine wires, but around a central gas tube, and all in a single sheath. If one wants to use this kind, then the welder needs to have a dedicated TIG feature to deliver gas up the middle of the connector.
Such would not seem compatible is using the high current plug-and-twist type with the lug.

Thus, we have the need for "adaptors". Some complete purchased hoses with torches and conductors have that type of adapter already part of the assembly, providing a way to introduce the gas.

I see there are arrangements where the conductor cable is just separate to the gas pipe all the way, both being contained in some kind of sheath. To keep them soft and flexible, various fabric sheaths are used - hence the picture of the "denim" cover, but they also come as plastics, braids, or coverings. In these cases, there is no need for adapters, because the gas and conductor are already separated, and can go directly to welder, or bottle.

When one has switches or triggers up at the torch, it can mean an "extra cable in the sheath.

All the above is my understanding of what I have found so far. I am sure some members have purchased all kinds of combinations that did not go together. The complete offerings from China into eBay runs about £40 to £65 ($55 to $90).
The "flexible" types 4m long, with CK17F torch come out at about £80 (about $110).
The CK Trimline TL26 Flex Head 200A with 4m SuperFlex Cable 3/8"BSP asks for £125 (that's $173).

The range between about £45 and £90 seems hard to justify, because the lower cost end from China is not at all crappy. These are not complicated things.

The suggestion is that for the sake of air-cooled comfort and convenience, the beefier size CK 26 series will be more appreciated than anything size 17 series, even at moderate current levels. The bigger size, with the super-flex hose, when used with short back cap and "stubby" size torch parts, is apparently as useful as a 17-series without getting so overheated.
Of course, it is significantly more expensive, but I guess it is something you won't need to replace for a long time.

Back