TIG practice

I went back with just the TIG to make it all flow together, and hide it.
The technical term for this is "washing" where you just use the TIG arc to smooth things out. Generally speaking, it's frowned upon and for things that are welded according to a code or a specified process it's prohibited. I wouldn't be concerned for this application, but it's something to consider for other projects going forward.

There are countless discussions about it on welding forums and technical welding sites/articles, but after reading a few my head started to hurt! There isn't a simple answer about why it's prohibited, but there are a lot of "what if" sort of scenarios. For example, the filler rod normally has more than just an exact copy of the parent metal, so if you're washing, the additional elements aren't being added to the puddle and you're getting a different result than if you add filler. How often that actually matters gets complicated quickly.

I look at it this way: if I'm welding the frame tubes on a motorcycle, I'm not going to wash. In that case I'm going to remove bad welds and start over. If I'm welding the license plate bracket on a motorcycle frame, I'd be okay with washing. One is critical, one isn't...although losing a plate would be a pain :)

Back