Tida Lathe Manual Misprint

Allan

Active User
Registered
This is for any Tida owners out there.
The manual for my new-to-me model 4A says that it has a MT 5 head stock taper. After ordering a 5x2 and a 5x3 I found out tain't so. It is actually a bit of an oddall: an MT 4 1/2. Just so's you know.

I guess I'll keep the adapters any way for future machine aquisitions. Actually, it may fit my Royersford drill press. I'll also post this under the Asian section.
Al

So it turns out that those 4 1/2 sleeves are made of unobtanium. I checked most of the big name suppliers to no avail. I am thinking it will be in the back of one of the smaller old time suppliers. Anyone know where one might get one without a suitcase of $$? I really don't want to cut and grind a #5 but I guess it can be done if it comes to that.
Al

I believe the reason for the Morse 4 1/2 to exist is to fit a 5C collet within a 2 1/4" spindle.

My (Wholesale Tool -badged) Tida 5 came with an adapter in it. I've always assumed it was Morse 4 1/2, for the reason above, but I've never tried to fit anything else in it.

Allan,Try Clausing. Some of the Clausing lathes had MT4 1/2 spindle bores. I think they still have some adapters.Chrispy

I thought a 4 1/2 was actually a cut down #5, that had the tail and part of the frt cut off. There has been many posting about this all over the net. I measured the head stock insert that comes with the Jet lathe and it measures out as the 5, just that it is a center part of the taper not the whole thing.
I have a SOFT #5 on order to make another insert. Hope to get it shortly.
Pierre

Hello, All.
Pierre, the 4 1/2 is only 1.5 " at the big end. The 5MT is 1.75ish. It isn't even close to going in. I could try to turn it down but would rather not at this stage.

Chrispy, I've heard Clausing has them at prices that may interfere with heart rhythms, although in fairness, I haven't inquired.

John, I believe mine probably had many items that I never got. All it came with was a lantern style tool holder and a 4 jaw chuck.

The annoying part is that the manual says it is a 5 so I ordered them on that basis. Hmm... maybe I can start a class action suit for mental anguish and also metal anguish. It has been most frustrating to wait for tooling and then find out one is still up that proverbial waterway without the necessary means of conveyance. With the proceeds I can outfit my shop quite nicely and retire early to play there. Anyone want to join me on this quixotic quest for justice?

Al

Allan,
I made an adapter for my TIDA. I set the compound over and ran a dial indicator (finger or last word style) back and forth through the spindle MT taper until the DI read 0. I then turned the outside taper on the part using the compund. Once the taper was done I stuck it in the spindle and bored it out. I then chucked up a 5C collet between centers, turned my cross slide until a DI sweeping the collet read 0, then used the cross slide to cut the 5c taper in the nose of the adapter. I made up a collet closer (drawbar) from a piece of black iron pipe with a PVC support in the middle. The wheel on the back of the pipe was from a rear differential flange from a truck. I bored it to fit the back of the TIDA spindle. If I could figure out how to upload pics from my iPad I would post them here...

Chrispy, you are making this sound tempting. I am thinking of getting a 3MT to straight arbour and holding the straight in the 4 jaw and turning the 5MT sleeve down to 4 1/2 as per your method. The sleeve won't be of much use to me otherwise. Just got to make sure the surface finish is nice. Would be nice to have a ground finish but that will make it tres expensive.

Did you harden it after?

Al

I didn't harden it. I figured with my limited hobby use it'll probably outlast me!

Back