Three Position Carriage Stop For Craftsman/atlas Lathe

I don't wish to disparage anyone's design efforts. But the Atlas 6-position turret style stop (also built by most other lathe suppliers), has fewer, parts, takes up less space, and has several other advantages.
Robert would you guide me to such posts as there may be for the turret type stop please .

Does it positively locate with a spring loaded ball bearing before being tightened to the stop position ?

ML_Woy
How do you prevent micro steel chip from sticking to the magnets and altering the trueness of it ?

Would you be likely to inadvertently knock the stop off the original setting position with the carriage and move it because it can slide on an oiled surface ?
I found this a problem with my super magnetic clamping placed chip guard the slightest touch moved it a tad ..I have 8 magnets in matched pairs in a row of four to make the clamping force and still it moves if caught even quite gently .

I don't use magnets for this purpose, my variable stop will be clamped to the way under the chuck. I'm making at least two stops, one for an indicator, the other for the stops. No room on the Clausing/Atlas 6-24.

I watched a Video by Keith Rucker on making a 3 position stop for his Shipley I believe. He referenced Mr Pete's design also. I would like to do his design, but the Craftsman Commercial 12" doesn't have V ways to help hold it in position so need to think that out a little more.

David,

I don't recall there ever being a thread on the subject of the Atlas 6-position Carriage Stop. The only fairly decent photo of it currently on the site is in the Atlas 1941 partial catalog. Go to DOWNLOADS. At top of left pane, click DOWNLOADS to open up the list (troublesome but the only way I could set up permissions and prevent some disgruntled turkey from deleting the whole thing). On the folders list that opens up, click Machine Manuals, then Atlas, then Catalogs. Click on the Atlas 1941 catalog, open the PDF, and go to I think it was Page 29. Zoom in several clicks. It is a very small photo but the resolution in the 1941 is surprisingly good. Same photo is in the other two catalogs but resolution is poor past the first Zoom. The whole head rotates. Indexing is good, with a spring-loaded ball detent mechanism (not visible in photo).

Finding one may be another matter, though. Took me about 6 months on eBay.

David,

Correction - there is an original Atlas 6-way stop on eBay tonight (I didn't have to pay that much for mine, but the seller I bought it from had also sold me several other relatively rare accessories). Look for Item 371421636075 . Note that the one shown is made for a 3/8" bed. For the 1/2" bed you would need to make a clamp plate with a 1/8" step in it and use slightly longer clamping bolts. The ball visible in one photo is an oiler. The detent ball and spring is hidden inside, as I recall 180 deg. around from the oiler.

Mike R,

Look at the above on eBay and also although I didn't record the item numbers, there are a couple of original single position carriage stops listed for Atlas flat beds (search Atlas Carriage Stop). This clamping arrangement works quite well. I've never had any problems with it moving due to vibration. I've never actually done it but I think that if you foolishly ran the carriage into it, it would slide enough to give you another half second to disengage the carriage feed.

Back