Three Position Carriage Stop For Craftsman/atlas Lathe

ML_Woy

Active User
Registered
Watched a video produced by Mr. Pete in which he showed a three position carriage stop he made for his Craftsman lathe. I was so impressed I decided to build one for my machine. I decided to make a few changes to mine like using rare earth magnets to hold it to the lathe ways and adding a dial indicator. Here are some pictures I thought I would share with you.

P1090051.JPG P1090052.JPG P1090053.JPG

Thanks for posting this, I'm about to make my adjustable stop, will consider your method, but with positive clamping and horizontal adjustments, not vertical, I don't have a machined surface in that area.

Thanks for posting this, I'm about to make my adjustable stop, will consider your method, but with positive clamping and horizontal adjustments, not vertical, I don't have a machined surface in that area.
There are no vertical adjustments on the stop. The one picture show one of the adjustment points tilted in the vertical position. The position to get it out of the way if it is longer than the one you are using.

The vertical storage was what I was in reference to. If/when I make mine they will pivot on a vertical hinge, Getting out of the way by pointing toward me, not the chuck. I work a lot with aluminum and the chips are stringy.

I've been thinking about building one, I like your design, very nice !!

I like the changes you made on your version. Forgive my ignorance but, What is the purpose of having three separate stops next to each other? Please don't take this as a criticism, If Mr. Pete uses one I'm sure it has a purpose, I just can't see it. Thanks, Jr49

[QUOTE="JR49, post: 324771, member: 30512" What is the purpose of having three separate stops next to each other? [/QUOTE]

They can be set for three different distances from the chuck. the longest one will stop the saddle (moved by hand) unless it is up out of the way, in which case the saddle will stop on the next one.

Understand?

I don't wish to disparage anyone's design efforts. But the Atlas 6-position turret style stop (also built by most other lathe suppliers), has fewer, parts, takes up less space, and has several other advantages.

I like the changes you made on your version. Forgive my ignorance but, What is the purpose of having three separate stops next to each other? Please don't take this as a criticism, If Mr. Pete uses one I'm sure it has a purpose, I just can't see it. Thanks, Jr49
Mr Pete demonstrated his when he was scribing degree marks on a wheel. He set the long one for the tenth marks, the next at the five position, and the third for singles. You can use it for any item where you have three different dimension changes.

Back