Threading at 400 RPM

I have a 602 and am very interested in this conversion. I bought the magazine on line and it came in a few days. However, the article isn't complete, but will be finished (I hope) in the next issue.

I looked the plans over and am not sure if I want to tackle making the gears. I wonder if Boston Gear stocks gears that could be adapted to this project.

As a second choice, I located a company that makes gears from your plans. They will do any quantity. I may get a quote from them and decide from there.

Hello Baithog, you can make the axle from a single piece of stock. If you look at the dimensions there is a lot of material to be removed to go from the diameter of the flange to the diameter of the axle. The arbor press I used is a small one, the lateral forces on this axle are not great. If you have the diameters correct you could tap it into position using a guide (to keep it square with the flange) and a hammer with a sacrificial piece to protect the end of the axle. To be extra safe add a drop of Loctite.

NightWing, you have to be more confident when it comes to gears. I had the same feelings about making gears. I looked at the Boston gear selection and several other sources and then read a couple of blog posts on making gears and decided to at least try. I spent about $40 or $50 for two cutter, made a mandrel, turned the acetal blanks, added the bearings then set them up for cutting. I was surprised how straightforward the process is, don't be intimidated by the task. Once I did the acetal gears I then made the blanks for the steel gears using 4041 steel. I cut the gears in a single pass using brushed on lubricant and turning the cutter at about 400 rpm.

Jim

I have a 602 and am very interested in this conversion. I bought the magazine on line and it came in a few days. However, the article isn't complete, but will be finished (I hope) in the next issue.

I looked the plans over and am not sure if I want to tackle making the gears. I wonder if Boston Gear stocks gears that could be adapted to this project.

As a second choice, I located a company that makes gears from your plans. They will do any quantity. I may get a quote from them and decide from there.

Check out Amazon before you go too far. There are gears on there in sizes that fit my lathe and match my very tentative plans in the range of $20-$30 each. I doubt a custom gear maker is going to be anywhere near that. I also sourced the gears for my dividing head project last year off of Amazon. I did pay quite a bit more for those gears, but only two gears required on that project.

That said, I'd like to try my hand at cutting gears as I'm slowly getting tooled up to do it here. I still don't have any cutters, but will keep an eye out for them. . . .

Jim

Jim,

This is an AWESOME mod!

And reading your comments, you answered my first question- "can you publish plans?". I have a subscription to HSM, so I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Excellent

Bernie

Thanks for your kind comments Bernie. One reason to get a copy (actually two issues, it is in two parts) of HSM is for the drawings. George Buliss takes my chicken scratching and puts them into SolidWorks which allows him to verify my work and to produce clear and in some places exploded views.

Jim

Jim

I was going to order bearings tonight, but have a question. The materials list calls out item-E as a 10X19X5, VXB 8552. I can't find an 8552 at VXB. The VXB bearings of that ilk seem to be 6800-2RS. Any reason I can't use the 6800 bearings?

And just to appease my 'what-if' mentality, could the dog gears be turned from cast iron and run without the bronze bearings?

Just read this and thoroughly enjoyed it. You are a very talented man. Mike

Hello Larry, the bearings used for the idler gears are not critical. I simply chose gears based on the diameter and width that were prelubed and sealed. The bearings need to be narrow enough so that you can leave a shoulder between the two bearings which is needed to keep the gear in position. The specific bearings I used were on hand and had been originally purchased for my band saw guide. Like I said, not a critical item.

I do not work much with cast iron so I am not the one to ask about the bearing qualities of the material. Making the bronze inserts was not difficult and they have proven to be very reliable and provide smooth shifting from forward to reverse.

Mike, thank you for your kind comments but this project is not as complicated as it first appears. Gray Meek did the heavy lifting I used his creation (the compact dog clutch) and adapted it to the G0602.

Jim

Wow! Thanks for all the extra effort that it takes to not only produce the project but plan for publishing the information here and in the article!

i would like to cast my vote for a few more pictures and any drawings that you feel will help me understand it a bit more.

i will have to see if I can find the magazine someplace locally.

thanks again!

jim d

Hello Jim, thanks for the kind comments. HSM has a special offer that makes availability of the magazine you might want to try them directly. If there is enough interest I could post some of my drawings but keep in mind that mine are done in Sketchup and are not close to the quality of HSM's.

Jim

Back