Threading at 400 RPM

I tried threading at 800 RPM one day. The tap was in the holder I'd made for the tail stock, and I had it pressed in the hole when I turned the lathe on......and......as expected, it didn't work out so well. Always remember to check what speed you're set at before pulling the lever. :)

Just to be clear, I haven't seen your article in Home Shop Machinist as of yet, Jim. I was expressing my confusion over the article that johnthefish linked to earlier in this thread. Your mechanism is constructed differently from that one as I can tell from the picture in your last post. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused you.

I did find your cross slide retractor one day when I was scouting around for projects. I really like what you've done with that as well. I have to admit that I dis-assembled my lathe in an effort to see how I might be able to apply it to my lathe. The Leblond cross-slide screw is firmly attached to the taper attachment. The operator handle is attached to the screw by means of a spline which is free to slide axially on the cross-slide screw. Thus to produce a retractor would require a reach to the far end of the cross-slide screw, or a much more cumbersome linkage/mechanism. . . . I didn't see an obvious way to work around these issues, so decided to let that one go. Perhaps I'll have to be satisfied with a retracting tool holder one day.

I put together a spreadsheet to figure out what gears I would need for the common metric sizes that I use. I believe I could get by with 24T, 30T, 36T, 37T, 42T, and 47T together with my QCGB to produce pitches 0.7, 0.8, 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 as well as others. I hadn't yet exposed the gear-train on the Leblond when I did the spreadsheet, so I wasn't aware that there is a 48T on the spindle and a 36T on the input to the QCGB. A workaround for this would be to compound a 36T gear 48T gear after the reverse/idler gears, but that would require a second 36T gear for some of the thread pitches. I may be able to re-work my spreadsheet to eliminate that requirement. . . .

I'm not going to rush into anything. I've got a couple of other projects lined up first, and I have been able to get along just fine without metric threading up to this point. It would be nice to have, though!

Jim

Just picked up a copy today what I was wondering is can any of these gears be bought or are they sizes that need to be made

I just got my copy of "Home Shop Machinist". Read the article and this thread at least three times. For months I've been trying to figure out how to add a tumbler gear system to my lathe. Forget that, this is the way to go. Now I just got to figure how to adapt this system to my Lathemaster 8x14. It will take a while, but it will be fun. Mark

Hello umahunter, sorry but these gears are not a standard off-the-shelf type gear. However, these are straight cut spur gears which are actually easy to make. These were the first gears that I have attempted and I found the process very straightforward. To make it easy buy the two gear cutters I mention and start with the Delrin (acetal) gears, they are very easy to cut and they will help you gain confidence. If you notice no steel gear runs against another steel gear, each steel gear runs against a Delrin or fiber gear which helps reduce noise.

Jim

Cool thanks just planning what I will need as my skills progress to eventually attempt this project

Jim, the threading clutch device is truly an asset to your machine. I just ordered a copy of the magazine covering your conversion.

There are several other changes/devices on your G0602. I would like to catch up on that info. Can you point me to a thread covering those changes?

WOW! Fantastic...And I love the cross slide cam in your other videos.

I wish I lived close to Port Angeles! If you ever want a vacation on Cape Cod Massachusetts and want to modify my lathe while you are here........we could arrange it! :whistle:

Hello NightWing and rbertalotto, glad you liked the clutch. It has become my "must have" modification second only to the cross slide retractor. I have posted a long list of G0602 mods on this site and at Projects in Metal. Do a search on the various forums and you will find them. Some of those changes have been superseded by the clutch for instance the reverse idler article. You might want to check out

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...lify-threading?highlight=retracting+top+slide

for information on the cross slide and top slide retractors. I did the top slide retractor for those that felt the cross slide retractor was too complicated. Both use the same principal one is just larger than the other. The G0602 becomes a very capable tool when equipped with the retractor and the clutch and both are interesting projects.

We used to live in New Hampshire and spent a lot of time on the Cape, lovely place in fall after the crowds leave.

Jim

I have been working up a plan to tackle the clutch for my 602. Maybe I'm missing something. Why not make the main axle and flange out of a single piece, rather than pressing the flange onto the axle?

I do not currently have an arbor press. How big of one would I need for assembling the gear bearings and axle?

I've never tackled gears before. This will be interesting.

Back