[How-To] Threading a chuck backplate

I just checked and I do have an internal threading tool that will work.
Now if we have the 43 high temp. they are calling for, I might be able get to it tomorrow.
Wuzzy ........................it's colder than that here in my shop at work . :rolleyes:

OK, gotta admit I didn't read the entire thread, but I had your exact same issue on my lathe two years ago. Swore up and down that the thread was undersized and even went so far as to make a lap to bring the thread larger. But I was wrong.

Just behind the spindle thread is a ground cylindrical register surface. Most faceplates will come undersized to this register, will start to thread on and then stop. You must machine the non threaded ID on the back of the backplate to fit to this register. It is super easy to miss if you aren't aware.

If you need to check your thread ID, buy yourself some thread wires and practice making GO NOGO gages for that thread. You can easily tell if the backplate is acceptably sized using these shop made gages.

OK, gotta admit I didn't read the entire thread, but I had your exact same issue on my lathe two years ago. Swore up and down that the thread was undersized and even went so far as to make a lap to bring the thread larger. But I was wrong.

Just behind the spindle thread is a ground cylindrical register surface. Most faceplates will come undersized to this register, will start to thread on and then stop. You must machine the non threaded ID on the back of the backplate to fit to this register. It is super easy to miss if you aren't aware.

If you need to check your thread ID, buy yourself some thread wires and practice making GO NOGO gages for that thread. You can easily tell if the backplate is acceptably sized using these shop made gages.
I did measure the spindle register,the new chuck is 1.5, my spindle is 1.510. I think it might be a combination of the 2.
The new chuck only goes on maybe 1 thread then locks up.
This a new to me chuck. It is a Horton, I believe it is 30's or 40's vintage.

I did measure the spindle register,the new chuck is 1.5, my spindle is 1.510. I think it might be a combination of the 2.

So the spindle register is larger than the bore? If so, that's the issue.

I did measure the spindle register,the new chuck is 1.5, my spindle is 1.510.
Huh ? .010 interference ? Are you even making it down to where the backplate registers onto your spindle ? You need to take some measurements , write them down and post them on here . If your spindle is 1.510 , you're gonna need a thou or 2 over that on the backplate . This ain't rocket science . :grin:

Huh ? .010 interference ? Are you even making it down to where the backplate registers onto your spindle ? You need to take some measurements , write them down and post them on here . If your spindle is 1.510 , you're gonna need a thou or 2 over that on the backplate . This ain't rocket science . :grin:
No, it is only going on maybe 1 thread.
I checked the register to see if it was going to fit.

Measure your spindle register , whatcha got ?

Back