Thread locker alternatives

[QUOTE=". . . But deforming the threads is more generally useful, both on the squashed-to-an-oval nuts, and in
other contexts, . . .
I've been doing that for years. Mostly when I can't tell a fine threaded nut from a coarse threaded bolt! :beguiled:[/QUOTE]

nothing holds like a good cross-thread.......

Or, we could go old timey retro and use the mixture of glycerin and litharge (lead monoxide); it was used as a sealant and sleeve retainer before Loctite was invented. Yes, I have plenty on hand, but have not used any in years; it is mixed at the time of use, applied and assembled, and hardens in a relatively short time.
Litharge is yellow in color (Pb0)
Red lead is red in color (Pb304)
white lead is lead carbonate Pb (OH)2

I just threw out a tube of Blue Loctite Quickstix a few days ago that was in the neighborhood of 20 years old. It worked the last time I used it (a month ago) but last week when I went to use it it didn't have any blue color. Looked like a tube of chapstick. So I tossed it.
I really like the Quickstix when putting together something with a lot of fasteners (like an oil pan) because you can coat a handful of bolts just before assembly without the thread locker running all over the place. Usually, with the liquid I end up applying the thread locker to a single bolt, start the bolt and move to the next bolt, apply the thread locker etc..

Back