Thread locker alternatives

[QUOTE=". . . But deforming the threads is more generally useful, both on the squashed-to-an-oval nuts, and in
other contexts, . . . [/QUOTE]
I've been doing that for years. Mostly when I can't tell a fine threaded nut from a coarse threaded bolt! :beguiled:

[QUOTE=". . . But deforming the threads is more generally useful, both on the squashed-to-an-oval nuts, and in
other contexts, . . .
I've been doing that for years. Mostly when I can't tell a fine threaded nut from a coarse threaded bolt! :beguiled:[/QUOTE]
The nice thing is that the blue and purple loctite act like anti sieze too. They keep the moisture out and keep the screw coated so it's always easier to remove after a long time. A deformed screw thread while it works, and I have used it doesn't offer the protection. So it always depends on what you are using it for and what your expectations.:geek:

Sounds like the Vibra-Tite is what you are looking for. I've always wondered what product they use to put on screws threads as a threadlocker that's not the anaerobic type. Most laptop screws are like this & Mcmaster sells em too.

Not sure how much the Vibra-Tite is but if it's expensive or hard to get, possibly another option is Loctite's Quickstix threadlockers. Like a big crayon that looks like a glue stick. This should work for screw prep as you described. I bought a stick of the blue when they first came out. It's probably expired by now but it seems to still work ok.

View attachment 242952
Never saw those sticks..

Pre Prepping screws, shafts, bearings, just wipe off with clean rag, apply your favorite thread locker or bearing mount juice and assemble. Hasn't failed me yet.

Brake or electrical cleaner works, too.
Ever been up on a ladder trying to coat the screws before installing them... PIA.. would rather have the pre prepped.

I recently bought a 50ml bottle of 222 purple Loctite for cheap on eBay, direct from China. It was about $6 including shipping. Can't get much cheaper than that...

I've always wondered about those bottles of Loctite sold on ebay from China. A few months ago I needed to buy some 603. On ebay they're $7 shipped from China for a 50ml bottle. A 10ml bottle of 603 is $25 in the US. I just can't understand how it could be that much cheaper from China if it's the real deal. I didn't want to risk it (not the $7 but rather a failure if it didn't work well) so I ended up getting the 50ml bottle from MSC for $50.

Can you tell any difference with the stuff you purchased?

I use this stuff, an empty bottle from her is like a few years worth to me.
Note the ''extra hold'' on the label.

IMG_0265.JPG

I've always wondered about those bottles of Loctite sold on ebay from China. A few months ago I needed to buy some 603. On ebay they're $7 shipped from China for a 50ml bottle. A 10ml bottle of 603 is $25 in the US. I just can't understand how it could be that much cheaper from China if it's the real deal. I didn't want to risk it (not the $7 but rather a failure if it didn't work well) so I ended up getting the 50ml bottle from MSC for $50.

Can you tell any difference with the stuff you purchased?
It is the real deal, Henkel. The bottles have mostly Asian writing on them, but come from "Henkel Asia Pacific & China Headquarters." It looks and works just like the stuff in the American bottles, no issues so far. The eBay price is outstanding, as you noted. I have always had good luck with Loctite products, and with the products their competitors sell as well. They just work. I am still using bottles of thread locker more than 30 years old with no issues whatsoever. They just work. Like they are supposed to. Used some Loctite Sleeve 'n Bearing mount the other day, perhaps 40 years old, still works just like it did then. Used correctly, clean threads, no oil, proper fit ups, for me it has always been foolproof.

Edit: The old bottles do not have expiration dates on them. I think the marketers added the exp. dates...

It is the real deal, Henkel. The bottles have mostly Asian writing on them, but come from "Henkel Asia Pacific & China Headquarters." It looks and works just like the stuff in the American bottles, no issues so far. The eBay price is outstanding, as you noted. I have always had good luck with Loctite products, and with the products their competitors sell as well. They just work. I am still using bottles of thread locker more than 30 years old with no issues whatsoever. They just work. Like they are supposed to. Used some Loctite Sleeve 'n Bearing mount the other day, perhaps 40 years old, still works just like it did then. Used correctly, clean threads, no oil, proper fit ups, for me it has always been foolproof.

Edit: The old bottles do not have expiration dates on them. I think the marketers added the exp. dates...

Thanks Bob, finally some real feedback. All I ever found on the net about the stuff coming out of China & Malaysia was just speculation. I'll try them out when I run out.

Yeah the experiation dates on Loctite anaerobic adhesives never concerned me. I too have found out they work just fine well past the exp date if the bottle has one.

I have some specialty adhesives that I keep in the refridgerator to prolong their shelf life. Anaerobic adhesive don't seem to thicken up much with age so I've never bothered trying to keep any in the fridge. Might actually be worse in my case cause I use a mini fridge that doesn't get opened daily, might lack oxygen but probably not enough to make a difference.

Yeah the experiation dates on Loctite anaerobic adhesives never concerned me. I too have found out they work just fine well past the exp date of the bottle has one.
Same here, I am just finishing up some stuff I bought in the early 80s. I need more. BUT I also want that vibratite.

Back