Thoughts on Lathe

When I went to see my Monarch, with a build date of 1944, it looked like it had surface rust in places; just like the recent PW photos. It wasn't rust at all, just old dried up oil and dirt.
Even if the lathe has surface rust it should clean right up;
don't let that stop you :))

Will you be able to see it run under power? If not, ask to take the top cover off so that you can inspect the headstock gears for damage. Roll them over by hand in as many speeds as possible to see the entire gear. The lower speeds my be geared down too much to spin them over by hand. I didn't see if the bed has hardened ways; do you know if it is?

Good luck,

Very true, the owner said he used oil to cover everything.

On an additional note, seems like this all the vintage iron is coming out of the wood work. I have come across a Lodge & Shipley under a $1k.

Decisions decision……. :makingdecision:

The possibility to make precision work is more depending in how rigid the lathe is than the wear. Even if there is a lot of play, the shear weight of the spindle will allow pieces to be turned with high precision. The spindle will not rattle around on a heavy lathe in the same way it will do on a vertical mill spindle.

A friend and lifelong machinist who, like a lot of shops, has gone mostly to CNC but still has some old machines around, once told me that using his 40s era Leblond lathe and 50s era Bridgeport, he could work to whatever degree of accuracy he had to. I believe him, I've seen him do it. Like he said, accuracy has at least as much to do with the operator as it does the machine.

And, you'd buy this lathe because you buy everything......not that that's a bad thing......actualy I'm a little bit jealous. :))

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

I believe that is a model "B" P & W lathe. Top speed on them old lathes are not very high around 600 RPM.

A nice family friend of mine is very knowledgeable of these P & W lathes. I can possibly put you in touch with him if you do buy the lathe. He can also get you a copy of the manual for the lathe. if interested, let me know. He only hangs out on another forum we can't mention here.

DROM,

When I saw where you were, and the make model price of the lathe, I thought for sure you were referring the PW in Malvern. I was rooting for you to get it, but looks like the pictures you have posted are of a different Pratt Whitney - for the same $750 price!

I live pretty close to Malvern - wife works there.

Am very tempted with the Malvern lathe - it's nearby, and they will load for free. All I need is room. I could squeeze it in, but have a Series 1 Bridgeport in pieces right now. So I think I'll pass.

Ray

DROM,

When I saw where you were, and the make model price of the lathe, I thought for sure you were referring the PW in Malvern. I was rooting for you to get it, but looks like the pictures you have posted are of a different Pratt Whitney - for the same $750 price!

I live pretty close to Malvern - wife works there.

Am very tempted with the Malvern lathe - it's nearby, and they will load for free. All I need is room. I could squeeze it in, but have a Series 1 Bridgeport in pieces right now. So I think I'll pass.

Ray

I seen the ad for the one in Malvern. If you have time, it would great if you could stop in and check it out. I would appreciate any info and pics. Don't go out of your way, but…. :victory:

Well I must say this thread has been quite an inspiration. After reading it yesterday, I figured I would check Craigslist for lathes, even though I'm currently looking for a mill. Well of course the first listing was a sweet deal, a 10" x 3 ½' South Bend, Tool Room Lathe, with a nice lot of tooling for a mere $800... To be continued on a new thread.
I seen the ad for the one in Malvern. If you have time, it would great if you could stop in and check it out. I would appreciate any info and pics. Don't go out of your way, but…. :victory:
If you think you have mental and sexual confidence to match this monument,
Go get it. It may involve the rest of your life , but your dreams need never involve
the slaying of Dragons........BLJHB

The very first question is "What do you plan to use it for?"
What you use it for? You will find out in time. You will find an answer to virtually
any need you have among our fellow Members, who will join in spirit and with
Hands and heads. But ; you must with confidence, and

What you use it for? You will find out in time. You will find an answer to virtually
any need you have among our fellow Members, who will join in spirit and with
Hands and heads. But ; you must with confidence, and
perseverance ,and money, and calling in every favor. You are looking at the USA's
Grandest period. ...........BLJHB.

Back