Thoughts on Lathe

Do you know what size the lathe is? When these were built the actual size was about 2-1/2" larger then the given size; a 16" lathe was actually 18-1/2. What size motor? I assume it's 3-phase. Looks like you can really peal some steel with this lathe.

Good luck,
Mike

Lots to think about, plenty of good replies. I am hoping it is a diamond in the rough. Would be a great candidate for a rehab project. Been thinking about it and I will call next week to get more info. Not much given on the ad.

As a noob that lathe is awesome , but too intimidating to me. And based on ebay it weighs in the area of 4000 lbs? Go for it!

The lathe is certainly high quality but here are a couple of thoughts I have.
  1. Is the top speed going to be sufficient? Older lathes were often slower
  2. Can you live with the wear?
  3. Components like headstock bushes or bearing may need to be replaced. Can these be sourced or made?
  4. The machine is very rigid however is the capacity suitable for you?
  5. Is it accurate enough as is with regards to the headstock wear, bed wear and gib wear as these all culminate to innacuracy
  6. Are you able to get the bed reground and specifically have you the resources needed to manhandle such heavy parts safely? (or can you borrow them?)
  7. Do you have the necessary power to turn the beast in your workshop?

If the answer is yes to all these questions, then I would not hesitate and I would strike while the iron is hot.

Paul.

Last edited:
Well I must say this thread has been quite an inspiration. After reading it yesterday, I figured I would check Craigslist for lathes, even though I'm currently looking for a mill. Well of course the first listing was a sweet deal, a 10" x 3 ½' South Bend, Tool Room Lathe, with a nice lot of tooling for a mere $800... To be continued on a new thread.

A few more pics came in today. Got some more info, the lathe has been sitting for some time. The owner got the lathe from an old time machinist, cleaned it up and never used it. The motor needs to be re-wired and it needs a good clean up, but she is supposed to tight. Not much comes with it.

Thoughts?

IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0891.JPGIMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

Well I must say this thread has been quite an inspiration. After reading it yesterday, I figured I would check Craigslist for lathes, even though I'm currently looking for a mill. Well of course the first listing was a sweet deal, a 10" x 3 ½' South Bend, Tool Room Lathe, with a nice lot of tooling for a mere $800... To be continued on a new thread.

Good luck with South Bend, sounds like a heck of deal! Grab it and make some chips.

Good luck with South Bend, sounds like a heck of deal! Grab it and make some chips.

I'd say, "grab it quick". Granted it is a project, one with great potential. That is (was) a top end machine. Given some tender loving care, it can be at least a good machine.

I got an early '60s project machine, that was a top machine in its' day.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-Brown-1024-Lathe-another-trip-to-the-auction

It took a few years to get it cleaned, repaired and going - but I really enjoy it. It is well thought out and has some nice features. I also have a more conventional gear head machine that is 20 years newer, bigger - nothing really wrong with it, but not in the same class. A well made machine, is a joy to use.

Get both those machine - can't go wrong with good metal.

Let us know how it goes. Regards,

A few more pics came in today. Got some more info, the lathe has been sitting for some time. The owner got the lathe from an old time machinist, cleaned it up and never used it. The motor needs to be re-wired and it needs a good clean up, but she is supposed to tight. Not much comes with it.

Thoughts?

Offer em $500 and take it from there.

When I went to see my Monarch, with a build date of 1944, it looked like it had surface rust in places; just like the recent PW photos. It wasn't rust at all, just old dried up oil and dirt.
Even if the lathe has surface rust it should clean right up;
don't let that stop you :))

Will you be able to see it run under power? If not, ask to take the top cover off so that you can inspect the headstock gears for damage. Roll them over by hand in as many speeds as possible to see the entire gear. The lower speeds my be geared down too much to spin them over by hand. I didn't see if the bed has hardened ways; do you know if it is?

Good luck,

Back