This Southbend 9” lathe a good buy?

Looks to be in beautiful shape, Dave! It looks like you got everything he had; great for you, kinda' sad for him. Glad it worked out.
Yeah I agree, sad because he was talking about how he needed the space and how he’s getting rid of all his tools. Old man in a wheelchair and doesn’t seem to be in great health. Definitely an “old timer” and has his wit and mind is totally there. Very nice, humble and generous guy (as you can see, ha). He did mention that all his friends have machines and if he wanted to he could go over there and make stuff so that’s good. He has been in a wheelchair for decades and his home is all ramped up and stairs have an elevator for him. The lathe has wooden risers he made so he can wheel right up to it and be the perfect height.

He also said that he has my number so if he find anything else that goes with the lathe he’ll call me. Class act he is.

If I am not mistaken that is a shaper tool holder top right
259802-d9c56526608c928b8d6b9b6e6510e15b.jpg
Now that you say that I see what you mean. I’ve never use a shaper but I’ve been watching Tubalcain and Abom so it does look familiar a bit. Good catch!

Great looking bunch of goodies!!!
+1 on Dave B's identifications. The lathe dog would require a stud to be installed on the face plate, and driving the dog through the notch. The second item is indeed for a Dremel. I used to have a Dremel "drill press" with that identical clamp on it. Unfortunately, this clamp will only fit the old style all-black cylindrical Dremel tools. The modern ones have fatter bodies with an oval cross section.
That makes complete sense regarding the lathe dog stud. It’s interesting that the notch on the dog isn’t square to itself. It’s slightly angled to the right when you look at the picture. I’m sure that improves the driving in some way. Cool stuff!

Oh, and I actually have an old black dremel! I’ll check it out!

Thanks!

Wow, what a terrific deal.
I see the circular base and table for a Walker-Turner drill press there as well (pic 4).
If a Dremel tool doesn't fit that holder, a Sears Commercial die grinder just might.
Good luck!

Yeah that’s my drill pr
Wow, what a terrific deal.
I see the circular base and table for a Walker-Turner drill press there as well (pic 4).
If a Dremel tool doesn't fit that holder, a Sears Commercial die grinder just might.
Good luck!
Yeah, that’s my drill press. Not part of the sale but good eyes, haha!

The table has a broken off lock so I replaced it with a Delta table. Trying to see what use the broken table is to me, might just bin it. Until then it’s just sitting there.

Oh, since nobody else has said it....

You Suck;)

Good score, it would take years to accumulate all that stuff. And lots of money, if you can even find the good old US made bits and such.

Cheers,

John

That makes complete sense regarding the lathe dog stud. It’s interesting that the notch on the dog isn’t square to itself. It’s slightly angled to the right when you look at the picture. I’m sure that improves the driving in some way.
It's meant for turning at supersonic speeds :)
Oh, and I actually have an old black dremel! I’ll check it out!
Thanks!
Ye're in business!

Killer deal, made me look at the classifieds in my area...

Not such good deals here..lol

Back