This Milling Cutter is Da Bomb!

After being unhappy with a 2 in. cutter head that uses the APMT inserts, I bought one of these on a recommendation from another member (who I would like to thank if I could remember his name).

I've been using it for roughing down some prehardened 4140 and I'm truly impressed with the cutter AND the inserts. At 660 rpm and up to .060 DOC it is amazingly smooth and quiet. Above .060 DOC it begins to chatter some, most likely due to rigidity issues with the mill. I'm still running the first set of edges on the inserts and the edge and coating still look fine. It doesn't leave quite as good a finish as I want, so I do the finish pass with a small inserted fly-cutter. Three thumbs up!
There are no specs that show the hole size on the head.. So what size arbor is needed?
edit: never mind... I see you answer it further down.

° = ALT+ 0176 º = ALT + 0186
π= ALT + 227
¹ = ALT + 0185
² = ALT + 0178
± = ALT + 0177
Are ones that I keep on NOTEPAD for quick reference.
DanK

° = ALT+ 0176 º = ALT + 0186
π= ALT + 227
¹ = ALT + 0185
² = ALT + 0178
± = ALT + 0177
Are ones that I keep on NOTEPAD for quick reference.
DanK
I've found that those don't work on computers without a 10-key keypad (like a laptop). At least the ones I've tried.

Most, not all, laptops that do not have a key pad do have a keypad mixed into the keyboard. look at the B, N, M, J, K, L, I, O, P keys for numbers on them. Numlock will turn them on to be used as a keypad that will work with the ALT codes.

Crossing his fingers - ordered this and the arbor. Hope it makes life easier.

Glad to hear it works for you. The inserts I received are labeled Lamina, made in Switzerland. No more likely than genuine Korloy, but very good inserts just the same.
How the hell?
The shipping is more than the entire kit?
How the heck is this possible?
Inserts alone can be over $100 for four.

How the hell?
The inserts are most likely decent copies of real ones, ie ripped off designs. That being said real inserts are probably marked up a lot.

Shipping on AliExpress is all over the map. Sometimes it's free, other times it's outrageous. Have to shop around, I'm afraid.

How the hell?
I'm pretty certain they're counterfeit, but good inserts anyway. Still running on the first corners of the first set of inserts. I just cut down some threading tool shanks today with them. The tool shanks seem to be somewhere around the the Rc 45-50 range. I took .060 DOC at 160 rpm, blue chips shooting off. The inserts still have the coating intact, show no signs of wear. I'm looking for more of those counterfeit inserts in different styles.

Back