This is the start of something small - Craftsman 101

auto.pilot,

Below are some pictures of my homemade tool holder. It is very simple and holds the the bits rock steady. :)

If anyone wants more information about it...just ask.

100_0357.JPG100_0356.JPG100_0354.JPG100_0353.JPG100_0351.JPG100_0350.JPG

100_0357.JPG 100_0356.JPG 100_0354.JPG 100_0353.JPG 100_0351.JPG 100_0350.JPG

If you haven't solved the bench dilemma consider finding a used Steelcase (TM) desk. Used office furniture places and auction houses. Very sturdy and built in handy storage. Mount a plate on top and a industrial baking sheet (restaurant supply) for swarf.

Steve

Join the yahoo group for Atlas lathes. Lots of info in the files area. Lots of users and active members there. I had an Atlas 10F24 for about 20 years. Sold it in the fall as I bought a Jet BDB 1340 clone and as others have stated only room for one.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

Nice looking lathe, I have the newer version (With Timken bearings) yours is babbet bearings i believe.....They are supposed to be more accurate when right.....It looks like yours has seen little use.........KEEP those bearings well lubed .......and by all means don't forget to keep the bearings lubed ......and always remember to properly lube ....well you know ......I love mine.......

I have an Atlas 618 I want to sell. Anyone know the best place to list it and what I should ask for it? It has a bunch of gears and attachments. It was my dad's. He was a machinist. I work with auto mechanics more so I'm not real familiar with using a lathe. skipjackk@yahoo.com if anyone has some info. Thanks

I have an Atlas 618 I want to sell. Anyone know the best place to list it and what I should ask for it? It has a bunch of gears and attachments. It was my dad's. He was a machinist. I work with auto mechanics more so I'm not real familiar with using a lathe. skipjackk@yahoo.com if anyone has some info. Thanks

Not enough info. What condition is it in, what all attachments and tooling. Pictures would help. And most of all, what is the market for machine tools in your area?

That said, the range for those in my area (Texas) is $300 - $750, with the upper end reserved for like-new units with all the goodies.

But unless you are desperate for money, I suggest you mothball it and keep it in the family. There may come a time when you or a child develop an interest. You don't want to say "I sure wish I had kept Dad's old lathe".

Rafe,

The 101.07301 has bronze sleeve bearings. Atlas never built a babbit bearing 6". It is otherwise identical to the 618 of the same period.

But either way, your lube comments are spot on.

Robert D.

Nice looking lathe, I have the newer version (With Timken bearings) yours is babbet bearings i believe.....They are supposed to be more accurate when right.....It looks like yours has seen little use.........KEEP those bearings well lubed .......and by all means don't forget to keep the bearings lubed ......and always remember to properly lube ....well you know ......I love mine.......

The Atlas manual title is "Manual of Lathe Operations and Machinists Tables". Published every one to five years from 1937 to 1988 and still available from Clausing. However, to go with a 618 you're probably better off with editions between 1940 and 1950.

Robert D.

hi guys i have two of these that i am wanting to restore and my questing is what type of pain should i use i want to get to as close as origional as possible. Thanks

Dennis,

Excrutiating pain, most likely. :))

Seriously, though, the one thing that we can be pretty sure of is that all of the Atlas lathes were originally painted with red lead primer and lead based enamel. Neither of which are generally available today. So you are stuck with using what you can buy. Use whatever type your paint supplier recommends for machinery that will have oil and grease liberally slung over it.

As to color (which may be what your question actually was), unfortunately none of the Craftsman Power Tools or Atlas catalogs between 1934 and 1981 that I have (which if most of the former and half a dozen of the latter) are actually in color. Many of even the early ones have color on the covers and some have color on the interior pages. But all of the photographs are black and white (what would be called today gray scale). As far as I know, the only two colors Atlas ever used were shades of either green or gray. As to shade, your best bet, or at least first step, if either or both of your machines have not been repainted some other color, is to look for a spot on one or both of them with original paint that has not been exposed to light or not exposed much over the past 30 to 70 years.

You didn't give the model numbers of your machines but if they have reversing boxes (10" only) or QCGB's (10" or 12") or feed screw support boxes (change gear late 12"), remove the box and look at the area on the front of the headstock that was covered by the box. If they don't, and they do have apparently original full top covers (early 10" and 12" don't), the underside of the top cover may be a good place to use. The only remaining area might be on the left end of the headstock under the banjo (change gear bracket or quadrant) or on some machines under a steel plate that shields the back side of the screw gear.

Robert D.

Back