This is the start of something small - Craftsman 101

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
I found this Craftsman 101.07301 on CL locally within minutes of the new posting. The pictures were so small, I couldn't even tell what color it was. Long story short, I picked up a nice and rarely used Craftsman with a milling attachment and a few extras for a decent price. Some of you guys probably view this little gem as a paper weight, but I'm hoping for some assistance, starting with pre-use prep. The seller powered it up for me and it ran very smoothly with little vibration on a weak looking table.

Q1: What should I do to prepare for using it? Prior to this, it was last run "with some wood in 1972". Also, there is a fair amount of play in the carriage, cross slide and tailstock. I suspect that in preparation for selling, everything was loosened up slightly so all the moving parts would actually move.
Q2: The motor is very a heavy Robbins & Myers 1/4 hp 1750 rpm, but does not appear to be original. Is the size and speed appropriate for this lathe?
Q3: I won't be stripping it down or repainting, just cleaning. What cleaning products and methods are recommended?

Thanks in advance. Photobucket link below

http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i383/jim7485/Craftsman Atlas 618 101 07301 Metal Lathe/

Jim

It is certainly not a paperweight, my first lathe was an Atlas 618, and I did lots of good work with it. They are small, can't do very heavy cuts, but set up and adjusted properly will do very good work. As to the motor, I would suggest moving up to at least 1/3 hp. There are quite a few parts on Ebay, if you need them, at varying prices. BTW, 1750 rpm is the correct speed for the motor. Have fun!;)

Nice find, you gotta be quick and decisive when you see a deal like that, and you nailed it man!

Yep- they sell fast around here (Detroit/Ann Arbor). I think just the milling attachment would cost nearly what I paid for the whole package. I'm very pleased.

jim

looks like a real nice machine, definitely not paper weight.

I've used WD-40 and paper rags in the past, and recently used simplegreen purple degreaser for some heavier cleaning application on my lathe (posted here) which worked well.

I would recommend getting a printout of the parts list so that you'll know what to expect, taking each section apart, clean each part, lube it (way oil) and put it back together again. this will give you several benefits:
1. the lathe will be properly clean as much as possible from within so there will be no hidden surprises
2. you will become familiar with it's parts and their purpose
3. everything will be tighthened back again from the ground up so you won't have to 2nd guess if something was missing

good luck and enjoy the process and the results

Nice score Jim! You'll have a lot of fun with it.

I clean my machines with WD-40 ($16/gallon at Home Depot). Spray it on and let it sit for a while then scrub the goo off with a Scotch-Brite pad and a stiff brush. If there is a lot of varnish from the old lube, alcohol or a spary cleaner like Fantastic will work. For surface rust like on the chucks, go to an auto paint supply and ask for metal prep. It's a weak phosphoric acid solution that will quickly dissolve the rust. brush it on, let it sit, scrub it off with a Scotch-Brite pad and rinse with hot water. Be sure to oil well afterward. That's about all you can do if you don't plan on taking it apart.

Once it's clean, re-adjust the gibs on all the slides and you should be good to go. I would look for a larger motor though. A 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor would be appropriate for that lathe.

When you get it all cleaned up, your first project should be the carriage stop I designed for the Atlas lathe.

Have fun.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are very nice little lathes. I'm on my 4th and nicest 618, but yours is nicer than mine. I have bigger lathes, but for small stuff I like a small machine.
Of the Atlas lathes, this is the best of them all in terms of usefulness/size.
My current problem is which to sell, my 7x14 minilathe (nicest ever) or this 618. I'll probably keep the Atlas.

But to echo others above, disassemble and clean. Section at a time. I also recommend WD40. For rust I use Evaporust, which is harmless to everything except rust, and works like magic.
Gray Scotchbrite is fine on the unpainted surfaces such as the ways, aided with some WD40.
Don't be tempted to repaint yours, it looks fine.
Clean, lube assemble, lube again, and wipe down.
Take care in getting the gibs as flat as possible, polishing on a flat plate and 400 sandpaper as needed, then adjusted as good as possible.
Front and rear of saddle in particular, then cross-slie and compound. If you found plastic gibds, replace immediately with metal (ebay)

Do check the carriage traverse gear assembly. It's behind the front of the apron, opposite the big handwheel shaft. the pot-metal gearcase often breaks, which puts lots of slack in that handwheel motion.
Someone is making milled aluminum replacements, check ebay.

Nice lathe, enjoy it and preserve it for the next generation.

I use "lectra-motive" as a cleaner. CRC makes it, and it has never hurt the paint on my stuff. Automotive electric rebuilders use it, its pricey ($7-8 can), but it smells just like an old dry cleaners. Nice Lathe by the way! My first was an Atlas MK2.

Mark

I would recommend getting a printout of the parts list so that you'll know what to expect
I have what appears to be the original parts price list that may have come with the lathe. It's not dated, but the most expensive item is the 30 inch bed, priced at a whopping $38.90 Change gears are priced between $0.75 and $1.10. Unfortunately, "All Prices Are Subject to Change Without Notice".

Here is a link to a article on removing the spindle to replace the belt or bushings.Read it carefully as there are some set screw burs you need to file down.
Thanks for the link. I'm guessing this procedure will be in my future.

Don't be tempted to repaint yours, it looks fine.
Not a chance of that.
Take care in getting the gibs as flat as possible, polishing on a flat plate and 400 sandpaper as needed, then adjusted as good as possible. Front and rear of saddle in particular, then cross-slie and compound. If you found plastic gibds, replace immediately with metal (ebay)
Not certain, but all the gibs appear to be metal on first glance.

When you get it all cleaned up, your first project should be the carriage stop I designed for the Atlas lathe.
I found that before buying the lathe and figured it would be part of the plan.

Thanks for all other comments and recommendations. I ordered an owner's manual and other info on ebay today, which should be helpful.

More to follow.

jim

Back