Thinking of buying a drone

You do not own the airspace above your place. Shooting at a drone will get you in trouble with the law.

Just be aware that the DJI knows where you can fly and where you can't. It is called geofencing. If you are in FAA controlled air space, it won't allow you to take off! Also local governments have added restrictions (I can't fly at county parks in my area).

really, congress mandated that they not interfere with hobbyists. They did anyway. You need to be over 16 years old to fly a model airplane ... That's a killer for the future of model aviation. Model aviation is where many pilots / astronauts had their first experience from. The number of pilots has been on the wane. They are working hard to find new pilots for the airlines and logistics transports.

I am unaware of a requirement to be 16. You do need to be of a certain age to get a Part 107 certificate for commercial operation of a drone. But I do not believe there is an age requirement for recreational flying.

Our RC club has a problem with youth - not from the FAA but from state laws regarding the protection of minors. In order to accept minors into the club our adult members would need to be cleared by the police and FBI for child abuse and fingerprinted.

But it doesn't really matter. There are very few kids interested in model aviation. And when they do get interested in drones (or airplanes) they become bored after a few weeks and move on to something else. Model aviation was a big attraction for kids in the 1950s and 1960s, but not today. They could care less.

The interest that leads to STEM careers today is computer gaming.

And to think , we developed these things years ago back in the 80s and 90s for the Gubmint . Look at them now , pack them in a suitcase , no runway needed . Have to wonder what the military has out there that we don't hear about . :encourage:

You’ll have fun and get great pictures! I‘ll ask my son what brand he has , I know nothing but still got some nice pictures, here we are ice skating a few weeks ago . I’m the short old guy lol

Attachments

• B4093C42-06B0-449F-A9E7-D7B1CAEBD6C4.jpeg
    B4093C42-06B0-449F-A9E7-D7B1CAEBD6C4.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 21
OK, found it. Starting in September 2023 you have to be 13 years old to register to fly a recreational drone. If younger you have to have a parent register for you.

Yeah....sold some land recently and the realtor used a drone for overhead pics. Quite impressive....
My grandson flies a small one at that land/area but a cheapie...pics not so great.

DJI, for the price, has the best drones at the moment. Can't go wrong with one from them.

• All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.

Registration Requirements​

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the drone)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
  • For foreign operators, FAA will consider the certificate issued to be a recognition of ownership rather than a certificate of U.S. aircraft registration.

Become a Drone Pilot

In order to fly your drone under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (Part 107), you must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA. This certificate demonstrates that you understand the regulations, operating requirements, and procedures for safely flying drones.

Are you a first time pilot or an existing Part 61 Certificate holder?

Do you need to keep your Remote Pilot Certificate current?

First-Time Pilots​

Eligibility​

To become a pilot you must:

• Be at least 16 years old
  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English
  • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely fly a drone
  • Pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam: "Unmanned Aircraft General – Small (UAG)"

DJI mavic 2 is what the son has . I've seen it 400 ft. high and I've seen it in my Maple tree also . He's not home yet but maybe I can post some pics he's taken with it when he comes in . :encourage:

Back