Thinking of buying a drone

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
The DJI Mini 2 looks like a good drone with decent camera/video capability, good wind stability and the price is less than $500.
Anybody have one of these?

One of the reasons we are considering a drone, to look beyond the hill or trees to see what a potential trailer site may hold.
There is always trepidation when turning on to a narrow lane with our 23’ trailer. Will I be able to turn around?

I have no opinion on that. But let me tell you about the FAA, The AMA, and the laws.

The AMA is a governing body of model aviation. They set rules and manage safety of model aviation. You do not have to join, but the FAA looks to them currently as THE model aviation body. While I say looks, I use the term loosely because they really do and don't.

The FAA requires that you register all models (A drone is a model), you go to their website and register it. You need to put your registration number on your model.. There is a required min. size.

If you don't register your model with the FAA, you can be fined... The fine is very, very STEEP.

Go for it, just register with the FAA, so you don't owe your future to their stupid fines. The FAA is now a disgusting group of bureaucratic nothingness, ask many pilots dealing with their idiocrasy . There taking over drones/models does nothing for the safety of full size aviation. They just want to manage and collect money from you and I, and mainly AMAZON and others.

Jeff , my son got in from Toronto late last night and he does have a drone . I don't know a darn thing about it but watched him fly it his last time down . He just stepped out to get a haircut a minute ago . I'll get him on when he returns .

I have the DJI mini 2 and I love it. It is very compact and it flys like a eagle as far as the gas goes you don’t have too register the mini2 cause it is under the weight that it has too be in order too register it. That is why DJI designed it so small. As far as the ama goes **** on them all they are is a insurance co for model flyers. The AMA thinks they own the sky’s. I used too fly RC planes (still do not as much tho) I switched from AMA too can’t remember the other co but they had less rules and weren’t as pushing as AMA was. Any way back too the mini 2. It is worth every bit of what you pay for and more you won’t be disappointed in it. The quality of pict taking and flight time and such is awesome. The furthest I have flown mine was a little over 2 miles away. It was fantastic. So bro go for it if you already haven’t. But do register it with DJI when you buy it. Good luck

When a drone is used for commercial purposes (versus hobby), the operator is required to have an FAA Part 107 certificate. This is like a pilot's license for drones. This involves studying and sitting for a written test.

I do not agree with the negative view of the FAA. They are making a reasonable attempt to do needed regulation of a new technology. They are doing their best to accommodate the hobbyists.

you are correct, I just looked up the weight of the Mini2 and it's just under
it ways .5489 lbs and the rules state .55 lbs.

• All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.

To fly a drone legally as a hobby one should:
1) Register with the FAA and place the registration number on their drones (the pilot is registered, not the drones).
2) Take the FAA Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) test. This is a very simple online test that makes you learn some of the airspace rules.
3) Fly only at a flying site that is an FAA Recognized Identification Area (FRIA). Most RC flying fields will be FRIAs. This rule is not yet in effect - it will be in effect in 2023.

Flying a drone out of visual range (relying on on-board cameras) for hobby purposes is distinctly illegal. Flying a drone above 400' above the ground for hobby purposes is also illegal.

When a drone is used for commercial purposes (versus hobby), the operator is required to have an FAA Part 107 certificate. This is like a pilot's license for drones. This involves studying and sitting for a written test.

I do not agree with the negative view of the FAA. They are making a reasonable attempt to do needed regulation of a new technology. They are doing their best to accommodate the hobbyists.
really, congress mandated that they not interfere with hobbyists. They did anyway. You need to be over 16 years old to fly a model airplane ... That's a killer for the future of model aviation. Model aviation is where many pilots / astronauts had their first experience from. The number of pilots has been on the wane. They are working hard to find new pilots for the airlines and logistics transports.

What safety comes from registering your model??? NONE. There's nothing you can legislate. The only way to prevent a disaster is education, and there will always be idiots around that think it doesn't apply to them. Look at the world right now, most people think the laws do not apply to them.

I have one. The prior version, the DJI Magic Mini. 249 grams so no need for a license.

Just be aware that some places do not allow you to fly one.

Cool little thing. I thought I would use it a lot…poor thing just sits, stored in its case.

Make sure you buy the Fly More Combo… do not go for the base package

Last edited:
Don't fly it over my place, or the old Remington will get a workout. Actually I think the tech is pretty cool, and I can see where they could be useful. Seems all the realtors are using them now. Mike

Back