Things to make for gifts??

I like burr puzzles. Made one for my bos last year and he still can't get it together. Told him I'd give him the solution this year.:rofl:

They would be good to make in aluminum and anodize the parts in different colors.

M

i spun a brass ring up for the wife on the lathe engraved tiny flowers on it and polished the crap outta it....

yes please, pix's. what are they ? ? ?
I don't have it any more but if you search "burr puzzles" several sites come up. I recommend homemade puzzles. I made the thing and had the solution and it took me about 15 minutes to put it together the first time. Most of that was making sure I made all the parts right. They can get pretty complex but all the cuts are either .500" or 1.000" x half inch deep with 6 pcs @ 3"" long X 1" square. The real trick is to get the fit right so it doesn't fall apart in your hands and yet isn't so hard that it gets frustrating. I start with a "metal to metal" fit and file from there.
Let me know if you want more info. I have another set of plans for a "simpler" one. Probably make that after I finish The stirling.

They would be good to make in aluminum and anodize the parts in different colors.

M
Thought about anodizing but they would probably get scratched. I originally put a high polish on it but every time you touched it it left fingerprints and looked awful. Went back with a fine stone and gave it a satin finish. Remember, these are made to be handled, not put on display.

I've been toying with making a model Napoleanic cannon for my father. He's a civil war buff... I want to make one he can throw some black powder into and make go boom...

John

I've been toying with making a model Napoleanic cannon for my father. He's a civil war buff... I want to make one he can throw some black powder into and make go boom...

John

:biggrin::biggrin: John , that would be really cool. If you do make one, post up pics. ;)

For my friends, I am going to make some reloading trays for them. I have not decided if I will make them out of some walnut or use something else..

I finished the Christmas ornaments. This is the first project that I used powder coat on, It’s actually fairly easy to do once you get the hang of it. I messed up 2 ornaments during the powder coat process though :whistle:

003.JPG 005.JPG

Kevin

003.JPG 005.JPG

Back