Things to make for gifts??

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Being as we are getting close to the Yule season I'm looking for ideas of things to make as gifts (other than the "turner's cube", nice but non-machinists might not appreciate as much). Things for kids, mother-in-laws, brother-in-laws (I really like both of mine btw), etc.

What kind of things are you making or considering?

Thanks,

-Ron

I have purchased brass round stock to make hammer heads for two sons and the one son-in-law. They will be brass with an aluminum cap on one end, steel handle.

Bought 1/2" ball bearings to make some desktop play toys, those BB pyramids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1MDO37JgE That was my excuse to buy a 1/2" ball end mill as well as a new to me drill press that has been rebuilt. Gotta buy the toys to make the toys. :)

Dale

Some ideas

* Stainless steel, or anodized aluminum dice set?
* LED flashlight
* Weighted Companion Cube ;)
* Pocket Knife [thread]7850[/thread]

i made a couple "captured nut" things using a small copper tube nut on stainless shaft. . . they polished up real pretty. . .

i made a couple "captured nut" things using a small copper tube nut on stainless shaft. . . they polished up real pretty. . .

A pic would show it off better than just a description. ;)

M

captured nut (larger version)captured nut 002.jpgthat a 22 cal hollowpoint for comparision. the actual thread size i used was just a little smaller that the size of the stock i used, then i modified the copper / brass nut to fit it. . .

they are quite a conversation peice. . . . it you make a small one it could be cross drilled on one end for a key ring even. . .

captured nut 002.jpg

I like burr puzzles. Made one for my bos last year and he still can't get it together. Told him I'd give him the solution this year.:rofl:

I am making Christmas tree ornaments out of .125 aluminum for my wife’s girlfriends, I machine the ball then powder coat them and locate in soft jaws to do the engraving. I ordered 4 different colors of metallic powder for the real ornaments, I made this one while I am waiting for the powder to get here.:ups:

Milling the ball.
Ball.JPG

Ball with tabs
Ball with tabs.JPG

Finished engraving
Engraving in soft jaws.JPG

Kevin

Ball.JPG Ball with tabs.JPG Engraving in soft jaws.JPG

I like burr puzzles. Made one for my bos last year and he still can't get it together. Told him I'd give him the solution this year.:rofl:

Any pics of the burr puzzles?

Kevin, I like the ornament. Very sharp.

-Ron

Back