The Obvious Noob Question- 101.07301 Year? (i Know I Know...)

Thanks for the pictures Matt .
Robert thanks for the history lesson .

Both are much appreciated .

Dave

Baby steps. Finished the paint, trimmed the MDF to the size my maple top will be (though there's a couple original stands listed on ePay right now... too bad they're so far east as to make the shipping cost prohibitive for me). Ready to start mocking up the motor location. Having trouble figuring out the accessory (?) gear mount finger. It had been installed, but of course when I took my before pics if didn't get a good pic of the back of the gear arrangement to see exactly how it was on there. I think I am missing a bushing- like the normal T-bushing on the rest of the gears but without the foot to bring the diameter fo the bolt out to the diameter of the gear bushing. Of course without the foot, the gear locks up as soon as you tighten it down. No guarantees it was assembled right to begin with, as the whole thing was all one glued together mess, and nothing turned at all. My suspicion is someone thought they were doing themselves a favor cleaning it with turpentine as when I finally broke down and took my little crack torch to them (not the real name, but that's what I call it- you know the ones, the little butane mini-rockets the crackheads love) to melt the oil out I got nice pleasant pine freshness.

IMG_20150518_200028.jpg
IMG_20150518_200019.jpg
IMG_20150518_200048.jpg

Not the best pics (and no head on shot) as I was losing the light :(

Broke down and ordered the original legs. Cost almost as much to ship as to buy, but whatever, I'm a nerd like that.

Kinda interesting sidenote. in the pile o' parts is a Jacobs model 4364 chuck on a Craftsman 1MT/threaded adapter. The chuck is the type you would expect to see on an old hand drill in which the threaded axle presses on the plate which in turn draws the jaws out to clamp on the bit- in fact the only reference to this chick I was able to find with the Google was from a guy who was restoring a hand drill with one, and he could find nor references to this chuck other than it's patent date (1944) and it's replacement patent (1949). The 'C' in Craftsman on the shaft is the earlier 1930's style chiseled Fred Flintstone script, so while certainly no proof, I'm leaning towards calling this little guy a 1944. In the 1948 Craftsman catalog the chuck is listed as a "Jacobs Hand Tite".

Back