The Obvious Noob Question- 101.07301 Year? (i Know I Know...)

ChattyMatty

Registered
Registered
Did my due diligence, poked around saw the note on the one verified serial being from 1947, but didn't find where that particular number was listed so I could at least guess myself :/

Looking at 15524, stamped in the bed not on a second tag as I saw on lathes.co.uk listed as 46-50. Metal Craftsman badge on the gear cover (not the top cover) is the 40's/50's style not the early style, machine gray.

Thanks for the great site, been a whirlwind resto so far...

I looked at the database again and there are actually two 101.07301 serial numbers with probably believable years, both based on what year the current owner's father had told him that he bought the lathe new.

007847 1942
022072 1947

The first catalog year for the model was 1939. So S/N 000001 was probably made in late 1938. As Father didn't say or Son didn't report a month, assume 01 July and run a few calculations and you get around the end of 1944 for yours. Assuming constant production rate, of course. Considering all of the unknowns, 1944 or 1945.

Cool beans, thanks for the help. Will pad some posts and get some pics up lol. Would be interesting to see if they received an exemption to stay in production during the war when so much of the machinery which would pump these out wound have been prime bait for producing far more essential materials than hobbyist lathes. I think I'm with ya on early post-war. If car production can be used as any indicator, it might be that the 1942 sale was a '41 build selling old stock, and them come '45 the production explosion as GI's returned home trained up by the military and with pent up paychecks to spend.

My assumption/understanding is that production at least of the 10" could well have peaked during the War. Both Atlas and Sears sold lathes under Office of War Production permits. Atlas is known for example to have shipped some (no idea of how many) 10" to Britain under Lend Lease. So although Atlas probably sold few to no lathes to hobbyists that doesn't mean that they sold few lathes. Someone (probably in the Serial Number thread) reported that their lathe had originally been bought by Father and one or two Uncles to start up a small shop to make parts for the War effort. Or something like that.

Yeah, big stuff for sure. I suppose the little guys could have been smuggled into the French underground ;)

[in your best Jon Lovitz voice] "Yeah, that's the ticket, it's Le' HommeCraft... yeah..."

I forgot to add that stamping the serial number on the nameplate rather than on the bed appears to have begun around 1957 with the 12" so-called Commercial. That is approximately the same time that 101.07301 production stopped, and was replaced by 101.21400.

Did my due diligence, poked around saw the note on the one verified serial being from 1947, but didn't find where that particular number was listed so I could at least guess myself :/

Looking at 15524, stamped in the bed not on a second tag as I saw on lathes.co.uk listed as 46-50. Metal Craftsman badge on the gear cover (not the top cover) is the 40's/50's style not the early style, machine gray.

Thanks for the great site, been a whirlwind resto so far...

Can you put up a picture or two of your lathe please Matt?

Hmm. Serial would put this one in the 46-50 range he cites as it's close to your '47. Sorry, don't mean to be the new guy starting flame wars, but I only have three sites in my favorites tab so far so it's all fresh in my memory lol :)

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/

Lucky enough to be buying this from my boss, who got just far enough into it to decide he wanted to replace the bushings... so he bought a 12x24 Enco to make them :/ He's been collecting parts and pieces for a while, some nice new 4-jaws and live centers in addition to the old ones so of course now I've got to have that milling stand... s my "learn how to use my lathe" project can be building a steam engine to power it (the electric hides under the table). Yeah, I;m a nerd.

Mostly she'll see duty making bicycle parts, but I can't resist making something crazy just to watch allt he rods and pistons spin even if just for show.

Read my mind... started to post some up last night in fact, then thought, "Naw, I'll wait till it's out of mock up phase." The 3/4 MDF here is just for laying it out, he'll eventually live on an 8' Formica work table I picked up that I guess you'd almost describe as a laboratory table... the base is made from 2x2 steel tube and the top is 2" thick particle board. Need to invest in some quality leveling feet (crikey those aren't cheap, but as I've discovered, nothing is with these) but otherwise should do the trick. Not 100% on what to do with the motor yet. Like I say, the boss was decking this out, so it's one of those new adjustable speed sewing machine motors I stripped all the extraneous crap from and if I can find a vintage Craftsman motor cheap and long enough to slide it into (so far they all seem to be squat and fat not long and skinny) I'll mount it on top, otherwise I'll hide it underneath. Just not loving the modern look next to the vintage goodness. Either way, I'll hit up the local electronics surplus store for an old box/ham radio accessory of some type that can house the circuit board and speed control. A buddy of my dad's is and engraver/plaque maker so I'll just have him zip out a face plate that looks the part. If I do end up mounting the motor up top, I'm also toying with the idea of mounting the whole thing on a pre-formed kitchen counter top. That'll give me a little backsplash and sidespash to help keep shavings from wandering down the rest of the table, and if need be makes the whole set-up portable in a usable form. Just unplug it, (grab a buddy) pick it up, go where you need to go, level it, and rock and roll. Dunno why one would need to do that, but why not? Mass is mass, and 1/2 MDF glued to the bottom of the LDF the top is made from might even be stable enough in it's own right down the road if I needed a smaller layout than the 8' table. Or maybe now that I think about it I'll just cut down the table and make it a dedicated lathe stand. Ug, I really need to think this out after morning coffee.

Speaking of mass. As I'm toying around with this thing, I'm looking at it and thinking the likely hood of me ever doing anything in which I would need to feed stock through a collet is about zero (I'm mostly going to be turning down modern 1 1/8" headsets to fit old BMX bikes, make adapters to bring road bike headsets up to BMX etc) has anyone ever experimented with making a solid main shaft? Not really convinced that I need to replace my bushings as we haven't gone far enough to do any run out tests yet, still in paint mode, but If I do the thought occurred to me to run an oversized (thinner ID) bushing, which would mean turning the shaft, which would be bad as it's so thin, which made me start thinking that for what I am using it for maybe a solid shaft will make a more stable lathe no matter what. I just keep looking at this little guy and all the weight that hangs off the end of that hollow tube, spinning madly... and my inner Tim Allen wants to say "Uh gh gh? Solid chromoly." Or maybe just press fit a solid rod into it I suppose, prolly easier, but I'd worry about it distorting as it warmed up from the dissimilar metals.

IMG_20150507_062336.jpg
IMG_20150507_062421.jpg
IMG_20150507_062355.jpg
IMG_20150507_062405.jpg

I doubt that a more solid spindle would help that much - flex is in the bed, the carriage and the headstock too. I'd just learn to live within its limits than risk messing it up for no real benefit.

Back