The New South Bend 10K

Yeah, I was thinking about the follow rest (not so important) and the steady rest (vital). I believe these were extra.

I have a steady rest but it could also be easily made. Ask Mark!

Robert

Well, so much to read and learn here. Thank you all. Perhaps I can reboot this thread.

I bought a Griz made SB 10K earlier this week. I think I got the best of a lot of 5 sold here in MN. They were surplus HS shop lathes. Seems to be very low hours. Ways look excellent, cross feed and compound too are tight & smooth. Spindle looks good, but couldn't run it due to lack of power available.

I was thinking of replacing the stock chuck with a 6" Buck, but comments here on the quality of the SB chuck make me wonder if it's worth it.

What do you guys advise I do to set this up well. It will be used under very close supervision by HS students on my Robotics teams. We are trying to expose city kids to actually using tools to fix & make things. Once we get started they love it, but most have no idea how to use a tape measure, square or cordless drill when they get here!

Astrobuf

Hi RWM: The owners of Grizzly (Sikhs from India), bought the right to the name South Bend and now are taking advantage of the former company's reputation in their "new" line of South Bend Lathes. They are made in China and they are of very good quality and finish and in fact a way above their own Grizzly line machinery.
Nothing wrong with that, however, they are way overpriced and neither you or me want to know their cost and mark up. China, contrary to popular knowledge or opinion, manufactures anything for a price. They are given directions by distributors, as to the quality of materials, craftsmanship, design and most important price, for any piece of machinery or item. At the same time, China manufactures Industrial Grade Equipment second to none, sold in the US and all over the world at competitive prices.
So the common notion that China manufactures "cheap junk" is the product of ignorance and prejudice. They in fact, have made possible for home shop and hobbyists, the purchase of equipment at affordable prices that require "finishing touches", improvements and general TLC. As for your one decision, I would recommend a middle ground in price within your selected size and features. In general as always, "you get what you pay for". If you have the time, patience and knowledge, one of the cheapies, can be converted into a little jewel. You'll find countless examples of that in the web. In the end, it is you the owner and operator, that is the deciding factor and not the equipment.
I've seen masterpieces made in lowly 7x12 lathes.
I think you are very misinformed!

I don't own a SB1002 and what you buy is up to you, but it does have a power cross feed and also a real Norton quick-change gear box. I seen the SB1035 lathe stand at the store. It was quite nice and looked like my old one (the stand is USA made), although I don't know if I would pay over a grand for it.

The SB1002 has been discontinued for awhile now, so if you go that route you have to make sure you grab all the accessories while you can.
I believe it will mount old SB accessories as well?

I have recently purchased a sB1002 Grizzly made 10K lathe. I need drive belts. The Griz/SB belt model # is 5MS-730a. Griz want $100 delivered for this belt. Most micro v belts cost <$20. Does this cross reference to another part/model # that I could consider?

Banflex 3-5MS-730 (730mm is the length ) I used this information to make a new pulley.
Drive belts rarely break but it would be nice to have a spare.

It is this one:

EDIT: Actually there are two belts and I am not sure they are the same length. You should check that. Please let me know what you determine.

Attachments

• Banflex dimensions.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thx

Both drive belts on my lathe are pretty chewed up. Bought it in an auction of High School shop equipment being surplussed. I'm guessing the lathe was 2012 vintage. Generally in pretty good shape.

Why did you modify your drive pulleys?

Thx

Back