The New South Bend 10K

How in the world did this thread get triplicates of attached files??? I did not do that and it has changed since my post?
R
I was wondering the same thing. Lots of pics that are all the same..Bob

I can now get over 2500 RPM if I wanted to but I have no way of knowing if the bearings would tolerate it. Others may have better advice on this. Also the chuck is rated at 2500.
How in the world did this thread get triplicates of attached files??? I did not do that and it has changed since my post?
R
After some sleuthing I found out that the SB1002 uses two types of spindle bearings: Japanese Nachi 32007J and 32009J tapered roller bearings. These are rated to 5600 RPM (grease) and 7400 RPM(oil). From the specs below it looks like the spindle bearings will have no difficulty handling 2500 RPM.

More specs on these bearings here:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...ered-roller-bearing-e32009j-45mm-bore-75mm-od

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...ered-roller-bearing-e32007j-35mm-bore-62mm-od

I just called Grizzly tech support. The person I spoke to is their top tech support guy. He said that 2000 rpm would not be a problem at all. In fact he felt that the stock motor at 1150 rpm was out of place on that machine.

I am seriously considering the new South Bend 10K. It is certainly not a bargain and I feel it should come with more at the current price. Nevertheless, it looks like an excellent small lathe.
I would definitely need to add a DRO. Has anyone recently put a DRO on a similar lathe? What kind of DRO should I be looking at? Magnetic or other? Can anyone give some specifics about attachment points for the encoders?
I will also probably add a brake. This may be self designed or I may swap out the motor for a motor with a brake.
Any thoughts appreciated!

View attachment 177603
R
Hi RWM: The owners of Grizzly (Sikhs from India), bought the right to the name South Bend and now are taking advantage of the former company's reputation in their "new" line of South Bend Lathes. They are made in China and they are of very good quality and finish and in fact a way above their own Grizzly line machinery.
Nothing wrong with that, however, they are way overpriced and neither you or me want to know their cost and mark up. China, contrary to popular knowledge or opinion, manufactures anything for a price. They are given directions by distributors, as to the quality of materials, craftsmanship, design and most important price, for any piece of machinery or item. At the same time, China manufactures Industrial Grade Equipment second to none, sold in the US and all over the world at competitive prices.
So the common notion that China manufactures "cheap junk" is the product of ignorance and prejudice. They in fact, have made possible for home shop and hobbyists, the purchase of equipment at affordable prices that require "finishing touches", improvements and general TLC. As for your one decision, I would recommend a middle ground in price within your selected size and features. In general as always, "you get what you pay for". If you have the time, patience and knowledge, one of the cheapies, can be converted into a little jewel. You'll find countless examples of that in the web. In the end, it is you the owner and operator, that is the deciding factor and not the equipment.
I've seen masterpieces made in lowly 7x12 lathes.

This is how she stands now:

33669500952_21cdb359df_h.jpg

R

We SB-1002 owners are few and far between. I've only found the names and addresses of three.
If someone is interested in sharing SB1002-specific information, they could contact me privately,, and I'll make sure they get on our little mailing list.

Incidentally, there is a very good review of the SB-1002 in July/August, 2017 Home Shop Machinist, written by Doug Ripka.

Hi RWM: The owners of Grizzly (Sikhs from India), bought the right to the name South Bend and now are taking advantage of the former company's reputation in their "new" line of South Bend Lathes. They are made in China and they are of very good quality and finish and in fact a way above their own Grizzly line machinery.
Nothing wrong with that, however, they are way overpriced and neither you or me want to know their cost and mark up. China, contrary to popular knowledge or opinion, manufactures anything for a price. They are given directions by distributors, as to the quality of materials, craftsmanship, design and most important price, for any piece of machinery or item. At the same time, China manufactures Industrial Grade Equipment second to none, sold in the US and all over the world at competitive prices.
So the common notion that China manufactures "cheap junk" is the product of ignorance and prejudice. They in fact, have made possible for home shop and hobbyists, the purchase of equipment at affordable prices that require "finishing touches", improvements and general TLC. As for your one decision, I would recommend a middle ground in price within your selected size and features. In general as always, "you get what you pay for". If you have the time, patience and knowledge, one of the cheapies, can be converted into a little jewel. You'll find countless examples of that in the web. In the end, it is you the owner and operator, that is the deciding factor and not the equipment.
I've seen masterpieces made in lowly 7x12 lathes.

I thought the 1002 is made in Taiwan, where did you read that the 1002 is ChiCom made?

I have found a brand new SB1002 along with SB1035 stand/base cabinet for the lathe for $3000. This would be my first lathe. I also want it to be my last. Previously I intended to buy the PM-1030. After I have a nice stand made for it the costs would be the same. I believe the quality on the South Bend would be good and at that price I would expect it to hold its value for me. I like that the PM lathe comes with power cross-feed, QCTP, and variable speed with a higher top end. Which should I buy?

I don't own a SB1002 and what you buy is up to you, but it does have a power cross feed and also a real Norton quick-change gear box. I seen the SB1035 lathe stand at the store. It was quite nice and looked like my old one (the stand is USA made), although I don't know if I would pay over a grand for it.

The SB1002 has been discontinued for awhile now, so if you go that route you have to make sure you grab all the accessories while you can.

The SB 1002 has a standard spindle nose, a D1-3" cam lock spindle nose. Chucks, including spindle nose 5C collet chucks, will be relatively easy to source. It looks like the PM-1030 has its own non-standard spindle nose which will limit what spindle nose tooling you can use.
David

Back