The New 1340GT from PM

Mike,
The TECO type you refer to are like the Enco mounts I was speaking of. Got your 1340GT yet?
TFC

No I have not received it yet nor heard anything firm on a delivery date. I spoke to Matt last Tuesday (July 15) and he informed me that the 935 mills had not arrived yet. He said the lathe is ready to ship as soon as my mill shows up. He was expecting the mills mid to end of last week (18th at the latest) so hopefully they are there and getting prepped for shipment.

I will admit, I am getting anxious and frustrated at this point. I was originally told 8-10 weeks when I placed the order on March 17, 2014 but I am now on week 19.

For the hobbyist the wait would probably be acceptable, however, I am using this in a business atmosphere and had to sell my previous machine to fund the new ones. I am trying to get out of my corporate job and go full-time in my home shop. My wife and I have been gathering up a clientele since 1997 when we obtained our business license. We started out as side work and wanted to be legal, then it turned into more and more custom work and the last couple of years more machining and welding jobs. We decided to try to make a go of it full-time but I wanted to have a "guaranteed" clientele first as well as a more capable lathe and milling machine. We were really gaining momentum for several years now and just decided to upsize our lathe and mill so we would be better prepared to take the plunge. When I sold my previous machine, I figured a 2-4 week gap without a lathe/mill would be doable, however, we have far exceeded that time frame. I have had to turn away several jobs and on two separate jobs had to take items to a local machine shop to meet the deadline for the client. I have not had to outsource something of that small size in over 16 years and that was a shot to the ego as well as throwing a wrench in the works and cutting into the profit margin.

Funny thing, clients really don't give a $hit about your delays. All they care about is that you gave them a time line of when you would be equipped to provide the service they requested and be able to get them into the shop and after that time came and went they eventually take their business elsewhere, ever if it costs them more money.

I am assuming it is the same with me, QMT is having delays and I am getting to the point, I don't care about excuses, I just want the machines I purchased. Funny how that works isn't it?

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the time it was as thought out as could be. Even if I had unlimited money and didn't need the money to fund the new equipment, I simply do not have the room for new equipment and old. I held off selling old equipment until a couple of weeks before I was expecting the new machines based on the information communicated to me.

Mike.

Mike,
I will talk to Matt today, if mine is ready before yours I'll have him ship it to you....i can wait.

Danny

I held off selling old equipment until a couple of weeks before I was expecting the new machines based on the information communicated to me.

Mike.

Seems like unless you are getting some sort of deal on combo-shipping, you might as well get the lathe in the mail and wait on the mill. If it makes you feel any better, if the 932 you passed on for the 935 is anything like my G0704, the wait is worth it. I love mine. Even new, it takes awhile to get them up and running properly, so get the lathe functional, and then turn your attention to the mill. Just a thought.

-Ryan

Mike,
I will talk to Matt today, if mine is ready before yours I'll have him ship it to you....i can wait.

Danny

Wow Danny, I really appreciate that. However, it is the mill that is the holdup. Matt informed me last week that the lathe is sitting there ready to ship, but without going into too much detail, they will be shipped together on the same truck.

I really appreciate the generosity though. The people on here never cease to amaze me. Absolutely great forum members.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Seems like unless you are getting some sort of deal on combo-shipping, you might as well get the lathe in the mail and wait on the mill. If it makes you feel any better, if the 932 you passed on for the 935 is anything like my G0704, the wait is worth it. I love mine. Even new, it takes awhile to get them up and running properly, so get the lathe functional, and then turn your attention to the mill. Just a thought.

-Ryan

Exactly Ryan, the lathe and mill will be shipped together as a package deal. I wouldn't ask Matt to ship them separate anyways. I made an agreement with Matt and will stick to that. I wouldn't go back on my word now or ever for that matter.

I am overwhelmed by the people on the forum. I have had a few members, some local, offer to help out with machining items while I wait. I am so taken back by the generosity of people on this great forum but on the same note, I hate to take advantage of anyone.

As far as the quality and size of the the small knee mill, 935TV, I think you are right Ryan. I didn't really think it was going to be possible to have a knee mill based on space and budget but I have stretched my budget about as far as I am able plus Matt did stretch a little as well I am sure.

I will need to get the lathe setup first due to placement in the shop and then I can focus my attention on the milling machine. I figured it will take me a few nights to get the equipment up and running. It should still be better than bringing a 50-year old machine back to life, time wise that is. I sure hope the equipment is everything I envision based on my conversations with Matt, my research over the past 8+ months and all of the private messages I had sent out to those whom I noticed had either of these machines.

Mike.

Exactly Ryan, the lathe and mill will be shipped together as a package deal. I wouldn't ask Matt to ship them separate anyways. I made an agreement with Matt and will stick to that. I wouldn't go back on my word now or ever for that matter.

I am overwhelmed by the people on the forum. I have had a few members, some local, offer to help out with machining items while I wait. I am so taken back by the generosity of people on this great forum but on the same note, I hate to take advantage of anyone.

As far as the quality and size of the the small knee mill, 935TV, I think you are right Ryan. I didn't really think it was going to be possible to have a knee mill based on space and budget but I have stretched my budget about as far as I am able plus Matt did stretch a little as well I am sure.

I will need to get the lathe setup first due to placement in the shop and then I can focus my attention on the milling machine. I figured it will take me a few nights to get the equipment up and running. It should still be better than bringing a 50-year old machine back to life, time wise that is. I sure hope the equipment is everything I envision based on my conversations with Matt, my research over the past 8+ months and all of the private messages I had sent out to those whom I noticed had either of these machines.

Mike.

Mike,

I understand how agonizing this is... I went through the same thing (only much worse) on one of my machines...

Anyhow, I don't think Matt will mind at all if he send the machines in two shipments. Matter of fact, I asked him about it and it's perfectly fine with him.

Ray

Mike,
Sorry to hear you are still waiting. I am too. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you with regard to my gunsmithing business and some of my clientele. I too have floorspace limitations in my shop and so, the old lathe, which had been in the family since new in 1946, had to go before the new one came in. I just never expected it to sell so fast. The first looker bought it, no questions asked. At that time though I had some other "out of shop" options for lathe work which dried up. Hopefully, our machines will be in the mail soon. And yes, nice bunch on this forum.
Take care.
TFC

Mike,

I understand how agonizing this is... I went through the same thing (only much worse) on one of my machines...

Anyhow, I don't think Matt will mind at all if he send the machines in two shipments. Matter of fact, I asked him about it and it's perfectly fine with him.

Ray

Thanks Ray, do you know for certain if the 935 mills showed up like he said they would last week? If so it is probably so close to just send them both as he said if would only be about a week once the mills arrived to get it prepped and ready to ship to complete the order, if not then getting the lathe within the next week and then the mill would be better than having to wait much longer.

I would rather get them both at once so I wouldn't have to juggle my full-time job around twice to meet the truck driver but if it is going to be much longer then at least having the lathe and getting it set up will get me one step closer to bringing in revenue.

Mike.

Thanks Ray, do you know for certain if the 935 mills showed up like he said they would last week? If so it is probably so close to just send them both as he said if would only be about a week once the mills arrived to get it prepped and ready to ship to complete the order, if not then getting the lathe within the next week and then the mill would be better than having to wait much longer.

I would rather get them both at once so I wouldn't have to juggle my full-time job around twice to meet the truck driver but if it is going to be much longer then at least having the lathe and getting it set up will get me one step closer to bringing in revenue.

Mike.

I'll get status of things.

Ray...

Back