The Machinerys' Handbook (History)

Go with an Edition 5. Stuff didn't really start to disappear till Edition 6. 5s appear on ebay quite frequently. Anything lower than 5 will be scarcer than hens teeth. I don't have a cell phone either and I'm 71.

"Billy G"

I'm more old-school than many of the "old guys" around here...I don't even own a cell phone! Need to find an older version of the MH that has info that was eliminated from the new ones.

Thought I was the only one that doesn't have a cell phone. People can not believe I do not own one. Sorry, back to topic.

I live in a hole. If I had a cell phone I'd have to Wifi it to my computer. I live half way up a hill, cannot see the horizon from my house. And I'm 78. migawd, that's a record. 78 RPM, I mean.

I like the older ones as my hobby is working on very old boat motors and some of the threads/profiles are not listed in the new books...Machining was different in 1910 than it is now...Wish I had a Delorean :)

I have several editions of the Machinery's Handbook in both print and PDF format. In total I have 15 printed editions from 1 to 26. There are another half a dozen in PDF format up to edition 29. I have the ones I use most often in both formats. I like the fact that I can look up a formula, dimension, or profile in the printed edition then print off a copy of the page from the PDF version. It saves wear and tear on the printed ones.

Like others much of the repair and fabrication I do is on older equipment. Some pieces date back to the early 20th century and use now obsolete thread fastener sizes, and tapers. If you visit e bay there always seem to be a number of editions available in both the printed and electronic format. The key is to be patient. Some sellers ask outrageous prices for books that are so badly worn and deteriorated they wouldn't even books make good scrap paper. Others are selling like new for a song. The most I've paid is #80.00 for a new book from a book store. Most used books in like new condition go for between $25.00 and $40.00.

Today when I searched "Machinery's Handbook" on eBay there were over 400 offerings. I'm sure some are pocket manuals or other offerings, but there are certainly a wide number to choose from.

Back