The Machinerys' Handbook (History)

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
In the last few months some quests for which copy they should get has been met with great personal choices. I would like to take it a step further and make the quest your personal choice.

#1 What will you need for information. This is the major issue because some technology has been dropped as it is no longer used. Also, much has been added over the years.

I am a collector of the Handbook, I have all editions except the #2 Edition. Editions 1 thru 4 all were printed in 1914. Edition 5 came in 1915. The average time between Editions is 4 years.

This link will help all of you in your search for the right one. It encompasses Editions 1 thru 29. Edition 30 is the new guy on the block, he came out in 2016.

http://www.anvilfire.com/bookrev/index.php?bodyName=ind_pres/machine.htm&titleName=Collective Review of over 90 years of Machinerys Handbook

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking into the history I only recently realized that it is the Machinery's Handbook (i.e. the possessive not the plural) - I had been mis using the name for years.
It was originally published by the publisher of Machinary magazine (or probably a periodical back then) as their accompanying handbook - so it is the Handbook belonging to Machinary magazine - Machinary's Handbook.

Not trying to be the grammar police (I'm definitely not qualified), but I just found the history of the name interesting.

Last edited:
Yes, I misspelled it to see if anyone would see the mistake. From the inception (Edition #1) the book has been published by "Industrial Press". I have a #1 and it's reprint. They are exactly the same.

"Billy G"

Interesting. When I finally got around to purchasing my own copy It didn't even occur to me I might want a copy that was not the latest, I just ordered the current version...

Just a note the newer version of the Machinary's Handbook don't have formulas for hole patterns which I think is disappointing.I bought a 18th edition in trade school
however I needed to have a reference for some split pins and had to buy the 29th edition. The 18 edition only cost me 16.00 brand new The 29th edition was around 80.00
My how things change,

Thanks,
At the time didn't do smart phone, was totally old school Ive updated since. Thanks anyway

I occasionally look for older versions in decent shape at reasonable cost. It is very interesting comparing the volumes and what they feel needs to be removed from newer editions. It can be an expensive hobby. I can't imagine how they collect all that data and get it organized and structured for mass printing. I think it would make a great how it's made episode.

Roy

Thanks,
At the time didn't do smart phone, was totally old school Ive updated since. Thanks anyway

Yup, my comment was somewhat tongue-in cheek. I tend to be old skool - I used my old flip phone until I wore it out, didn't see the need to upgrade just because there was a newer, cooler phone...

I'm more old-school than many of the "old guys" around here...I don't even own a cell phone! Need to find an older version of the MH that has info that was eliminated from the new ones.

Back