The joy of tapping

Mine is 3/16-5/8, I'd like to get the smaller one.

I have a tapmatic but don't use too often, Instead I made I put a tapping head on a slip clutch for power tapping. I wanted low profile so I wouldn't run out of Z axis, inexpensive(cost $35 in materials) with a decent clutch( releases at 12-15 ft-lbs of torque). Works well in a keyless chuck. On another thread there is a slip clutch build using ball detents which prolly has a more precise torque adjustment.

Attachments

• _MG_1099.JPG
    _MG_1099.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 20
  • _MG_1100.JPG
    _MG_1100.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 19
I have an old Ettco Emerick tapping attachment that I quite like, it is the friction type and quite sensitive, and has a chuck that needs no collets or adaptors within it's range.

I have a tapmatic but don't use too often, Instead I made I put a tapping head on a slip clutch for power tapping. I wanted low profile so I wouldn't run out of Z axis, inexpensive(cost $35 in materials) with a decent clutch( releases at 12-15 ft-lbs of torque). Works well in a keyless chuck. On another thread there is a slip clutch build using ball detents which prolly has a more precise torque adjustment.
that is seriously cool, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those at a reasonable price. I have a bunch of spare tap handles I can adapt as necessary. Thanks for the idea!

I saw a Bridgeport tapping head new old stock for $40. wasn't allowed to get it, but I saved some money.

that machine of Greg's is a Hamilton, they also made sensitive drill presses. I have one of these tapping machines also. I'm fairly sure the drive cone is a paper stack, at least the one on my machine is.

Peter

Back