The joy of tapping

Will's spending it, you might be making it. :grin:

Hope to do some tapping tomorrow myself after the work is done . :encourage:

I notice that old archer tapping heads seem to be a lot cheaper second hand than the tapmatic ones, also no collets for holding the taps :)

Stu

I power tap 1/4 up. Hold the tap in a drill chuck, when it slips use a tap handle, its already started straight. For the small stuff, someone gave me this. There's no manufacturers markings on it. Thought it was a sensitive drill press at first. The table moves up and down with the lever, which has a ratchet to adjust position. A small scroll chuck holds the tap.
Bring the part up against the tap and the friction drive starts turning it in, realise the pressure it stops, slight down pressure it retracts. Very smooth mechanism.
No idea what the original motor might have been, it had a small flat belt pulley on the drive. Im using a 1700 rpm motor and found it too fast, recently put a 12 inch pulley on it so now have about 300 rpm at the tap.

IMG_1631.jpg

Greg

I love that Greg. Same concept pretty much inside a Procunier tapping head. Those use a cork cone drive to develop the friction for driving.

What is that friction drive made out of. Sort of looks like rubber maybe?

David - for that few a number of holes I'd do what f350ca does and just power tap with my mill or drill press (if it's reversible). For small sizes in steel a spiral point tap will go straight through. Just tap slow and keep an eye on progress with a hand on the switch. I made 12 or 14 OXA holders a while back and it went pretty quickly. I have the same job to do in AXA soon :)

Its rubber, looks like its laminated layers.

Greg

A have a Buck Versatapper, 2 of the Tapmatics and a couple of off brands and even have a small semi cheap one from Grizzly, that works great. I also have a Jet JDP 20EVS/230, drill press with a VFD and a built in tapping head, that does the majority of the power tapping. I just did a job, where I tapped 300 holes, 3/4”-16, in 1” thick 7075 aluminum plate.

Back