The homemade MEGA Machinist chest! With pictures!!

CRIPES! It's almost full! I should have made it bigger! :grin: I guess I'll have to start rearranging.
Don't do that! Just build another one! Or buy another tool chest, roll away, or what ever. But if you want, I'll be glad to take your excess tools.

Don't let the wheelchair stop you
I don't let it stop me, what's stopped me is bulging discs in my lower spine. The pain is unbearable so I'm trying epidural shots had two but no relief yet, can get five . Trouble it takes a month with going getting and setting up . I grew up a carpenter's son , his specialty was built in cabinets. But we built houses from the ground up doing everything . I had plans after his retirement to open a custom cabinet shop . But he didn't make it. But I did make lots of them on my own for daycares and churches , even building pulpits and crosses in the sanctuary. But as with my legs not letting me move machines to cut and fit to build I had to stop. Even with my big table saw on wheels I just couldn't handle it all by myself.
With all the lace wood I've collected and saved for years , I should make a big cabinet like yours. Also have large quantity of red oak.
Wheelchair stop me nope in 2004 I was on the All American Trap team , number 7 in the world at that time. I worked hard and practiced at least 500 rounds per week year round rain snow heat. In 2004 I shot 40,000 rounds registered trap and another 20,000 in practice. I'm no quitter I don't think many could keep up with me . Prior to these bulging disc.. Enough of me I really like your build , be proud it's an envious tool cabinet. The dehumidifier and light is a perfect addition . It deserves a build of the year award.

I don't let it stop me, what's stopped me is bulging discs in my lower spine. The pain is unbearable so I'm trying epidural shots had two but no relief yet, can get five . Trouble it takes a month with going getting and setting up . I grew up a carpenter's son , his specialty was built in cabinets. But we built houses from the ground up doing everything . I had plans after his retirement to open a custom cabinet shop . But he didn't make it. But I did make lots of them on my own for daycares and churches , even building pulpits and crosses in the sanctuary. But as with my legs not letting me move machines to cut and fit to build I had to stop. Even with my big table saw on wheels I just couldn't handle it all by myself.
With all the lace wood I've collected and saved for years , I should make a big cabinet like yours. Also have large quantity of red oak.
Wheelchair stop me nope in 2004 I was on the All American Trap team , number 7 in the world at that time. I worked hard and practiced at least 500 rounds per week year round rain snow heat. In 2004 I shot 40,000 rounds registered trap and another 20,000 in practice. I'm no quitter I don't think many could keep up with me . Prior to these bulging disc.. Enough of me I really like your build , be proud it's an envious tool cabinet. The dehumidifier and light is a perfect addition . It deserves a build of the year award.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. A bad back can keep anyone down. I have some minor back issues and it's painful, I hope never to experience what you are going through.

Just an update. With summer here in PA. the humidity is so high now that the two front doors have swelled so much they are touching. I even adjusted them out as far as I could. In the winter when I had a fire in the shop wood stove and there was less humidity, I had a quarter inch gap in those doors. I expected swelling in the summer but never that much. I gave myself a .375" gap for adjustment for such a thing but it wasn't enough. It's not a huge deal, they still close together but I'm just a little bummed about it. Nothing I can do other than make new doors and I'm not doing that at this point. I have to many other irons in the fire. On a brighter note. The gun safe heater I have in there seems to be doing it's job. Nothing is showing any signs of rust. Not even a slight surface rust. The doors swelling in this humid weather may be a hidden blessing since it's a much tighter seal and doesn't let as much air circulate in the cabinet thus letting the gun safe heater keep up.

Last edited:
I built a black walnut 6' kitchen table, farmhouse trestle style with bread board ends. Here in Michigan it will move 3/8 of an inch or more with the change of the seasons and that's indoors. The only time the bread board ends where flush was the day I finished it and brought it into the kitchen. Amazing how much wood moves. I tell people that tree's are always alive, they never stop moving.

Back