The homemade MEGA Machinist chest! With pictures!!

Just so everyone is clear. Jewelry boxes and cabinets are a very bad idea. Yes the girls love it, but so do the criminals. It puts all the valuables in one spot, easy for them. The best way is to spread jewelry out in different locations, especially the valuables.
Just something I keep hearing from others who know.
Jeez I think I've got more tied up in my machinist's tool box than my wife's jewelry box. Maybe I should spread my tools around.;)

From someone who's second love to metal work is woodworking, words can't convey the appreciation for what you've done here. It's Beautiful! Actually so beautiful it needs a name other than "It's" or "machinist chest." There are no flaws when a project like this is completed, only the craftman's signatures.

Most excellent work! Great idea on the gun safe heater keeping the moisture out of the air. Let me guess, next project will be drawer organizers for all of the loose taps, end mills, etc. No doubt it will be passed through your family for generations to come.

Bruce

Great job, I've built a few dozen cabinets and cubicles, trophy cases and tool boxes . I'm impressed your cabinet will be around longer then you . That's another reason building them well. Your family will hand it down for generations . Those are the things that set us apart. Quality shows be proud . I've got a truck load of pretty wood just wish I could still build them , saved up lace wood for a cabinet or roll top desk . Don't think ill be able stuck in this DERN wheelchair. Table saws need standing man to use ,not sitting . No more thirty foot one piece builds from this old CRIPPLE. But you young man have talent there to. As most machinist have no problem woodworking. It's the eye for detail . YUPP really good job.

Don't let the wheelchair stop you

Jeez I think I've got more tied up in my machinist's tool box than my wife's jewelry box. Maybe I should spread my tools around.;)
Yea, but no one is going to be able to pick up that fully loaded box. Hell my Kennedy (520) small as it is , is over 100lbs loaded. Your's will weigh probably 600- 800 lbs not even fully loaded.

Thank you, usually I have to stop here to feel bad about my abilities with metal, and navigate to a woodworking forum of choice to feel bad about my lack of woodworking talent. You've gone and saved me the trip!

Looks great btw

Thank you, usually I have to stop here to feel bad about my abilities with metal, and navigate to a woodworking forum of choice to feel bad about my lack of woodworking talent. You've gone and saved me the trip!

Looks great btw
Just practice my friend. Few are born being able to craft anything. I'm just about 50 and have been doing things like this in wood and metal since I was 12 or so. Practice and experience is all it is.

I've just seen this thread else I would have commented earlier.
Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship, thank you for sharing.

Back