The frustrating hunt for machines

If you are interested Private Message me...

the friend I bought from painted it baby blue and I was lucky enough to be able to rescue it before he finished painting it that awful color... I had plans to pimp this little lathe out but I have bigger projects that need more attention, this was going to be a cnc desktop lathe with clearpath servos... Lol

24" bed and about 17" between centers... 6" swing over the ways....
3" 4jaw chuck with reverse able jaws.... It has a 1/2-20 spindle thread
Zamak gears
has the original motor pulley
It also has the pin for the back gear and it works great
threading dial, the lead screw and the half nuts work great, no slop or play...
that is the tailstock mounting plate on the lower right... I dont have a handle or a nut for it... and the tailstock it missing the clamp, but the screw feeds nicely, its a MT0... that dead center is the only tool I have for it...
this might be the original motor lol. Believe it or not this old thing runs great...

The Only problem with it is the tail stock has a broken ear on the bottom.... but if you want this machine and dont have the tooling to fix it, I'll fix it for you for free...
the bottom of the tailstock is in great condition...

Last edited:
That is the best you will find and worth the price, I just got my jet going, power to the garage was the hardest part and installing the collet closer. My next project is installing a dro. Then I can start learning how to use my lathe and cut threads, it's been 30 years since I ran one.

If you're willing to travel as far as Detroit you might want to look at a couple Clausing mills in Jackson. It's about 75 miles west of Detroit. There is currently a Clausing 8520 and an 8530 up for sale on eBay for $2,100.00 or Best Offer.

So the hunt is ongoing but I have a lathe in my sights. Going to look at it tomorrow with cash in hand, if it is as good mechanically as it looks I will bring it home tomorrow. It is a SB 9A 4.5' bed, with the single tumbler QCGB. Has 3j, 4j, dog plate, center rest, which was broken and repaired and an import QCTP with 5 tool holders plus an old lantern post and live center, dead center and a wood center, plus a Jacob's chuck. Plus the original stand.

Picking it up from a machine rebuilder who says 3 people owned it before, wear looks light, but with everyone's help here I think I am going in with a least a basic knowledge of how to spot a dog. Thanks everyone, halfway there.

Did you buy a lathe yet? Tim
Yes, I bought the one I went to look at. Have it torn down now to replace wicks and clean before moving it into the basement shop.

Have 1 taper pin in the apron that is refusing to come out. Going to piece together a pin puller and try pulling instead of pushing. If that fails I will have to think about drilling it out.

lathe-10in-jpg.294351

I suppose the hunt can be frustrating. I have a 10” Logan, forget the number, but it has all the basics, QCGB, AXA tool post, lots of holders and tools. I added iGaging readouts to X and Z, etc. The bearing are amazing...just the weight of a small chuck key will rotate the spindle. But I work with steel more now, and it struggles with more than maybe 25 thou cut.
I thought about new, looked at all the choices, seemed to me they were all the same lathe with different branding and market positioning strategies. The convenience would be great, delivered to my door, lots of accessories,
I have been watching CL for Sacramento, Gold Country and San Francisco, and there is a new listing every couple of days it seems. Recently I saw a Takisawa TSL-800D listed...I had researched that lathe a year or so ago when one came up by surprise locally, and liked it a lot. I watched for a few days, and when it was still listed I had to call. The seller was closing a machine shop after 38 years, and had purchased this new. It was almost 200 miles away, but he was close to a small airport so I went to see it. It was really in excellent condition, “runs like new” as the seller said. But, seemed a bit pricey, and the agony of moving it turned me off.
Then I spent a few days pleased that I resisted. But you know what happened...called him back, renegotiated price and accessories, and agreed on a price. I rented a really cool little hydraulic trailer that squatted right down flat, and picked it up pretty easily for a 2500 pound lump. Other than unloading in the dark and a rainstorm, it went pretty well.
I think my current lathe is going to a friend tomorrow so I hope to get the shop back in business by Saturday. It takes a major rearranging, which was much needed anyway. For the record, the Takisawa, with only a 3 jaw, collet closer, steady rest, couple of chucks, centers, Aloris CXA toolpost and a couple tool holders and a tray of random tools...and also a 8 station turret (don’t know if I’ll ever use this) went for $3250. My Logan is going with a pretty complete set of insert tooling is going for $1200 supposedly.
The Takisawa with no wiring or plug changes started right up on my phase converter.
Anyway, i’m satisfied. Now to add a DRO and a 4 jaw...it needs an A1-5. I’m thinking DRO Pro magnetic. Anybody have an extra chuck?

... what is really puzzling is there are larger machines in similar shape for half that.

My problem is the larger machines would be too large to shoehorn into my basement even if I could transport them to the house in the first place...
You solved your own puzzle.

Back