The frustrating hunt for machines

That is a pretty rare thing to happen. That sucks. But it’s not common. You’ll get more chances. The good news is that you now have the cash in hand.
It happens a lot, probably more than you realize, lots of craigslist scum out there...actually probably not scum, more like flakes...

Not just sellers that are flakey. I listed a woodworking shaper and had a guy contact me. He was eager to buy, only haggled a little on the price, had plans to make kitchen doors with it and said that he just needed to arrange to get his brother-in-law to help fetch. Never heard from him again.

Anybody want a light duty shaper? :chagrin:

Craig

Oh, I have the cash. Even told a guy I was on the way to pick up a machine in Wisconsin on the phone. I saw it at noon on lunch and it was the third one on the page so hadn't been up long, called the guy said I wanted it, called my boss and took a half day off, called the guy back and said I was on the way and would be there in 4 hours, loaded up the tool box and started driving. Hit the bank on the way out of town and took out $2,000. It was a very nice SB10 with all the original accessories and a bunch of tooling including the milling adapter QCTP and collet chuck for $1,900. It wasn't pristine but it had obviously been taken care of. Guy said he had bought it in the 70's and had used it in the farm shop until he retired in the 90's and then it had set in the shed since unused.

Got 2 hours from home and got the call from him another guy showed up and gave him $200 more for the machine than he was asking when he told him it was already sold to me.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've purchased several machines listed on Craigslist and never had any experiences like that. In fact several times just the opposite. When inspecting a couple machines the seller offered a considerably lower price before I made any input as to the condition of the machine or offering a price.
Although you had a bad experience it might have a silver lining. I would be willing to bet that if the seller was sleazy enough to sell the machine for a higher price after he already committed to your offer he probably would have changed the price after you showed up and also misrepresented the condition of the machine.

Here are a few more auction sites that deal in industrial machinery, including machining equipment from both government entities and private businesses. Most are national businesses holding auctions in a variety of locations.

I agree, not even getting the chance to match the later bid sucks but is rare. I'm writing to add to the chorus about going for a Logan. Granted, as a complete newbie I reeled in the mythical retired shop teachers pride and joy within 15 miles of my home, but having warrantied replacement parts available for a 1943 820 is a huge advantage. Sure they're pricey, but my QCTP t-bolt came milled for the model! Finally, all that stuff published by South Bend is really good, and available, and translating it to the Logan is usually a matter of degree, not kind.
Keep at it.

Tim

Have you tried Surplus Record Machinery. They are located in the Chicago area, and have many lathes and mill for sale.

Check Chicago CL I was on it earlier today a guy just listed a Kent USA 14x40 engine lathe for 2800. Looks like a nice machine newer and hd for a hobbiest. I was actually going to take a look at her just because of condition price and close by.

I got lucky today, I picked up a post hole auger for my tractor with 8 & 12" bits, I had been looking for one for 2.5 years, I texted the guy 10 minutes after he posted it online and I was up there (60 mile from home) at 9 AM this morning with cash in hand. I would have been there last night but it was almost dark when he posted it. I feel that I got a win on this one. So patience pays off with persistence. Tim

It happens a lot, probably more than you realize, lots of craigslist scum out there...actually probably not scum, more like flakes...

Well ok.

I have had lots of trouble with people wasting my time on there. Me being the seller, or sometimes giver of things. I’d post something as a free item, and then have people calling and asking a million questions. It’s free! Come get it! If you don’t like it, give it away, just like I’m doing! The item is free, but my time costs money. I don’t advertise there at all anymore actually. It seems a very mistrusting and combative environment.

I've been looking for a lathe for months, and it has been a frustrating experience. Machines are few and far between here, and any deal that is posted usually gets snagged up quickly. I've already missed two deals simply because I couldn't get there the next day...you just about to need to have the trailer loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice!

Don't get me wrong, I've been able to find machines...problem is, they are either 3 phase only, too big, or out of my price range ($2-3k). I know 3 phase shouldn't be a limiting factor, given the availability of phase converters, but it does add an extra expense. Hopefully, I can get my Craftsman 12" back in 100% condition and stop looking!!

Well ok.

I have had lots of trouble with people wasting my time on there. Me being the seller, or sometimes giver of things. I’d post something as a free item, and then have people calling and asking a million questions. It’s free! Come get it! If you don’t like it, give it away, just like I’m doing! The item is free, but my time costs money. I don’t advertise there at all anymore actually. It seems a very mistrusting and combative environment.

A few years ago I had a garden tractor I no longer needed and was willing to give to someone who did. Unfortunately I listed as "free to a good home" on our local craigslist. I think it attracted every scrapper in a 4 county area. I didn't realize it, but the person I committed to giving it to turned out to be a scrapper. That was the last time I put anything out there for free.

Last year I had a small lathe that needed a new home. I originally fixed it up for one of my nephews, but alas his parents thought he was still a bit young to be playing with something as potentially dangerous. This time rather than put it on Craigslist for free I listed it for $250.00 to eliminate the scrappers. A young kid came along to check it out. He didn't think he could afford the asking price and asked if it was negotiable. I responded that it was, and asked what he was willing to pay for it. He said about all he could do was $150.00. I could see he was more than interested and was at least willing to make an offer. Long story short, I gave him the machine. I was happy to see it go to someone who would get some use out of it rather than a scrapper that was turning it into beer money.

Back