The big shop electrical upgrades thread [long, 56 pics]

A lot of electric companies won't install into someone else's trench. They are responsible for the feed to the meter, so they do the digging.
I understand that the power utility does their own trenching to the meter. I’m actually waiting for our local utility to trench to a new 400a meter, multicolored flags all over the yard.

That side-track started because to me 200’ - 300’ between buildings wouldn’t justify a separate meter and the long-term ongoing monthly base charge usually associated (depending on the local rate structure) with each meter. Even at current price of nearly $5/ft for suitable cable, those economics do change if you rent a trencher for a couple hundred bucks and do it yourself, or prefer to pay a contractor to deal with the feeder line to an outbuilding. @FliesLikeABrick strikes me as a DIY’er, but the separate meter came with the property.

In my case, with a 400amp meter, a solar system wouldn’t be a choice between serving house, or shop. Regardless where it was installed it would serve both. Backup generator gets to be a more complicated as I’m using dual 200a service disconnects, so I believe that would essentially require two transfer switches and two generators to cover both, although I haven’t looked into details for that config.

@rabler - What model and brand generator. I have extensive experience with a lot of older stuff (pre-1990) below 20KW, primarily Onan.

@rabler - What model and brand generator. I have extensive experience with a lot of older stuff (pre-1990) below 20KW, primarily Onan.
I do not at this point have a backup generator. I am leaning toward getting a generator driven by a tractor PTO, as I have experience issues with gasoline powered generators that sit for a while and are nearly impossible to start.

I have a 85HP diesel tractor, with an "efficiency" gear selector on the PTO, so it can operate the PTO at rated RPM with the engine running at about 2/3's max RPM, which is suppose to provide roughly 1/2 HP maximum at better fuel economy. This would make it quite reasonable to continuously produce at least 20KW. I have been looking at something like a 20 - 25KW generator, might as well have a little bit of extra generator capacity.

I have also considered a natural gas permanently installed backup generator. That solves the generator sitting for a while, as they automatically start themselves periodically (usually weekly). Still another motor that needs oil changes. Was looking at Menards today at Generacs, they run about twice what a tractor PTO generator costs, (before installation) as obviously you're buying an engine + generator.

Pros and Cons - the tractor generator I could use across the farm, as we have barns and a garage on a different feed. No gas service at the barns so an NG backup is not feasible. I have a total of three 200A service disconnects. Two are co-located, one (barns) is about a 1/4 mile away. But even with a transfer switches pre-installed (not factored into the above costs), the I'd have to hook the tractor up to the transfer switch. For a backup I really only worry about the service disconnect for the house though. The NG generators probably have better Hz and THD controls.

Apologies to @FliesLikeABrick, this is more of a derail than I intended on your thread. You've done a nice job of setting your place up.

Back