Term for deliberate deformation of threads?

I've always heard it as "staking" the threads or bolt. Must have been an old timers trick before locktite. My dad used to do it with a center punch or chisel to the side of the thread of the bolt just above the nut. If you only deform the thread a little you can still get the bolt off cleanly if you need to. I actually use that method from time to time.

chris

I'm going back to my buddy and tell him my panel of experts and I concluded the proper term is 'staking up the peened buggered threads'. I don't see how he could refute that mouthful–unless he's been doing a similar inquiry in some other forum. Thank you all, to to all a good Labor Day weekend!

When done by some hack trying to "fix" something I always used the term "munged up". Example "It looks like he really munged up the threads on that shaft with a pair of Vise-Grips".

I thought staking was done to the head of a bolt. I know that's how the gas key is held on my ar-15. The only time I can think of using this technique (whatever it's called) has been on the t-nuts for my mill to keep the studs from screwing through.

I agree with John on "Staking", I guess it could be similiar to "Upsetting" and is done with a center punch.

I always heard the terms 'staking' and 'peening' but staking is the one I heard the most. Might be a geographic thing.

I used to make (still do sometimes) my own locknuts. For a 1/2" nut I would set the nut on an anvil, then use an old punch or drift and give it a good whack with a machinist's hammer, creating a slight divot in one of the faces of the nut. Then repeat the process two more times so that every second face has a divot in it. The result is a nut that is deformed enough to lock very solidly onto the bolt or stud that it is installed on. This might be the same as the 'tri-lock' that somebody mentioned earlier in the thread. At any rate, sometimes it is easier to make the nut when you only need one rather than make a trip to the hardware store just for that one item. This type also works well in high temperature situations where nylock nuts won't survive.

I have also tried making them in the hydraulic press, and strange as it may seem, I seem to get better results with the hammer method rather than the steady pressure method. I guess shock value has some advantages.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought I might add some tidbits that somebody might find useful.

Back