Term for deliberate deformation of threads?

PeterJB

Registered
Registered
What's the word to describe deliberately deforming a portion of the threads to create a stop?

In the fastener field, I know of 2 proprietary methods used only on nuts. One is a Stover type lock nut, and the other is a TriLock. I'm sure there are others, but it's been a long time. They are used primarily to create a self locking or holding thread rather than a full stop, however.

In the shop, if it were a nut, I'd probably call it "staking" but that probably isn't 100% accurate.

Thanks, guys. I'm wracking my brain for the word. Sort of slang, I think. I came across it a while back, but have forgotten. This past weekend a friend and I welded back together a trailer jack that had failed. At the bottom of the 18" or so threaded shaft, the last 2-3 threads were deliberately banged up so the contraption wouldn't come apart by cranking it too far. He and I both knew there was a term for it. He couldn't think of it either. I'm racing to get the answer before him. There's a beer involved...

We always called it peening. Like with a ball peen hammer or punch:dunno:

On aviation we call them self locking nuts. Some will have a few threads kinda smashed in, others have some sort of plastic material on the last quarter ( i guesstimate) of the threads. A basic test to check this type of nuts is not bein able to thread it all the way in by hand.

peening or pinging is what I would likely say. Or "redneck loctite" for a cross thread:roflmao:

And the winner is "Peening". Hope you won the brewski!!!

Bob

Back