(teaser) Homemade Metal Shaper

Although this thread has seemingly been swept under the carpet I figure I should still post regular updates for future reference.

Rack and pinion table drive has been abandoned for a screw. I picked up material, bushings, and a few shaft collars (I really hate making those) from Tractor Supply for the rest of the table feed.

I also cut up some plastic gib material. Eventually I will replace them with brass lined steel, but for now this plastic will be a substitute. it's very dense, and fairly slippery. I do not know the name of it....sorry. It's often used on tablesaw fences.

A pair of 6-32 screws was used to help hold the ram housing to the open H-beam section. One of the taps broke (it had broken previously, and I re-ground a new point on it) so I ground a big section out to be welded as a repair. I may use soft solder with a steel insert, I don't know. I don't want any weld distortion....but it's solid with a single screw so I might just thread the screw into solder just keeping it for looks.

I have nothing but encouragement to offer, but I am watching and rooting for you!

Steve Shannon

Thank you for the kind words, Steve. Working on the vertical adjustment for the knee currently, but things have been busy.

Also looks like I can't use Tapatalk to upload pics anymore, they do not show up on my PC.

That's what I'm going through also. Instead of clicking on the camera in Tapatalk, click on the paper clip right next to it:
Image1466451818.903865.jpg
That attaches the picture rather than storing it at whatever host Tapatalk wishes. It's just as easy.

uploadfromtaptalk1466454806178.jpg

Can you see the pic? Thanks for the tip!

Here is the vertical leads crew assembly. The double nuts on the bottom are just for testing

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

This thread seems to start in the middle of the topic. Where is the beginning?

If that little steel bar is your shaper's ram,it is entirely TOO SMALL,and will certainly bend as soon as you try to use it.

Back