(teaser) Homemade Metal Shaper

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
The bearing came in earlier and it pressed right in. I will use a fender washer on the side of the pulley I removed the lip from just in case the bearing decides to walk sideways. Instillation tomorrow.

Has to be the nicest railgun I've ever seen, not many shoot them. For those who don't know it's basically benchrest shooting on steroids.

How many hours went into polishing it? :)

Very nice work!

I would make two, in case you ever crash it will act as a shear point (a good thing)

I think I may use those drawn cup needle bearings for spindle bearings. Yay or nay?

I'd like to get a back plunge indicator for that. I carry a lot of heavy stuff at work and don't like to lean to see the the indicator face. I can usually indicate round stuff better than the square, not enough practice.

Austin
Set the dial indicator a little off vertical, pointing upwards slightly. As long as you are adjusting while keeping in mind the fact your indicator is skewed you shouldn't have a problem, and it's a lot easier to see.

Hope you got my email earlier this week.

Will you be posting a build thread? Can't wait to see progress, especially on a firearm this unusual!

What caliber do you plan to chamber it in? 6mm BR is a popular choice for 300m shooting and benchrest.

Before I had a lathe I used to do a lot of small turnings on my mill, never seen anything this intricate. Thanks for sharing :)

Sounds like a cool project. Will you be able to use 10mm and .38 super with the same magazine?

At least you still have a peck mark, to finish the hole on the drill press :)

It might be helpful to make a longer T handle bar, sometimes you need that extra leverage, depending on what you're doing and the size of your chuck. Or when that time comes just use a small breaker bar with 3/8" drive. Psst, air ratchets work great too.....

Back