Tapping 10-24 in blind hole SS 304

Congratulations C :encourage:

Here is even more fun one 2-56 tap, 304 SS, 0.200'' deep, #49 (0.073'') drill, blind hole. 4 holes required. Made it through 8 holes (2 parts) without breaking the tap. Power tapped in the Haas. Just did these about an hour ago.

Sorry, I can't show the part.

View attachment 288527

View attachment 288524

View attachment 288530

View attachment 288526

Tapping speed 10 rpm

And a bonus, 3/64 (0.047'') end mill in 304 stainless in an ER 32 collet. We were out of the ER 11 Holders. The coolant stream dwarfs the endmill :)
View attachment 288528
Wow, that is amazing! Machine taps look very cool!
Thank you for the congrats Jim!
C

I am using olive oil , is there a non-toxic tapping lube or paste?
Thanks
C

This is what I use by the way, apparently it is approved for use on water pipes.

Stu

Tangentially, I have been using "machine" taps in my Lassy hand tapper and on the lathe with good results. They seem to clear the chips better. Is there a reason these are called machine taps and is there I reason I cannot use them with good alignment by the lathe etc?
Robert

Tangentially, I have been using "machine" taps in my Lassy hand tapper and on the lathe with good results. They seem to clear the chips better. Is there a reason these are called machine taps and is there I reason I cannot use them with good alignment by the lathe etc?

There are machine taps . Expensive . HSS . All kinds of different grinds for various materials and applications . Gun , plug , bottoming , spiral , exo , coated , non-coated , the list is endless . You can use these most anywhere in the correct application .

There are " maintenance taps " . Cheap . Sold in hardware stores , the Repot , Lowes etc . Used mostly for reforming a damaged thread . High carbon , NOT HSS . They do cut a thread but not very good . They dull very easily . You will not tap or re-tap a thread in a hardened part . It will sieze and break . Specifically sold to " home makers " not wanting to shell out $30 for a 1/4-20 tap .

Robert

No reason at all. But you do have to use the right tap for the job. As Dave says above, there are many different styles of good taps, none of them sold at the big box store.

Specifically sold to " home makers " not wanting to shell out $30 for a 1/4-20 tap .

You're buying at the wrong place, I only pay about $15 for a 1/4-20, but that 2-56 tap was $26 :)

Last edited:
Back