Taper attachment question

Abody711

Registered
Registered
Bought a South Bend taper attachment. I noticed the piece that attaches to the side of the apron saddle has the two bolt holes but not the two locator holes. Do I drill locator holes or do I remove the pins?

Attachments

• 7AC2CA7D-1D34-4324-AB79-73D3386B6405.jpeg
    7AC2CA7D-1D34-4324-AB79-73D3386B6405.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 23
The pins are to ensure that it goes back exactly when removed and re-mounted. Once you have it properly mounted, the holes should be drilled & taper reamed (the pins are tapered I believe).

I assume that your lathe did not come with a taper attachment, but the bolt holes were there from the factory, yes the pins are important especially to keep alignment of the cross feed screw.

The pins are there because of the complicated procedure to mount a taper attachment. Once you get it correct, you'll want to be able to remove and remount the TA with little effort.

The pins are there because of the complicated procedure to mount a taper attachment. Once you get it correct, you'll want to be able to remove and remount the TA with little effort.
Once mounted, there is little reason to remove it; the TA has two valuable functions, that of cutting tapers, and its weight to help to hold down the back of the saddle.

Back
Top Bottom