Tape Measure: I Don't Know How to Use It

Yeah, two of my customers, i have to provide dual dimensions on the drawings i do for them. Once they get the drawings, they go in and put Chinese wording, hirigariphs, i call them on the drawings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm here in the US and I can eyeball most sizes. I guess I have worked with it enough starting with motorcycles and then high performance cars. Now it's pretty easy.

Me too. And in the 90s I scratch built a French engineered airplane that was all and only in MM. Had to buy a metric tape then.

At least these are all standardised dimensions - for a real minefield look at women's dress sizes, where a USA size 0 is about an English size 10, and the more expensive the dress shop the bigger each size gets so a cheap shop's size 12 is labelled size 8 in the high-fashion, high-price stores to make the buyers happy.

And don't you dare buy her a 14 when she thinks she's a 12, you'll NEVER get back in her good books... :(

Dave H. (the other one)

Along the lines that RJ mentioned, the building trades still use the ole lumber sizes like 2x4, etc. but which are not very accurate, more of a name than a dimension. Many building materials are manufactured to metric dimensions for the international market but are converted to approximate inch labels for specific markets. The inch system does not seem to have much of a future in America even if there is no official decision to convert to metric.

At least these are all standardised dimensions - for a real minefield look at women's dress sizes, where a USA size 0 is about an English size 10, and the more expensive the dress shop the bigger each size gets so a cheap shop's size 12 is labelled size 8 in the high-fashion, high-price stores to make the buyers happy.

And don't you dare buy her a 14 when she thinks she's a 12, you'll NEVER get back in her good books... :(

Dave H. (the other one)
One of the things my wife liked about coming to the US was she instantly lost four dress sizes.

However, I would never buy my wife clothing of any sort. That's like walking into a minefield.

Dave H. (the other one)

If buying clothes for your wife ALWAYS buy them too small. It's easier to return them with a happy spouse than live with the wrath of "how big do you think I am?" even if you might be right.

Lee Valley also has the centre-finding tape:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32558&cat=1,43513

I could see a use for that.

-brino

If you take a tape and angle it across what you are trying to find the center of, so that the edge is on a whole number, then 1/2 of that number is the center. No need to do the fractions. Won't work on small width parts such as pipe or narrow strips of wood but it does come in handy.

Eventually, the metric system will win out, largely because the US is trailing behind China in manufacturing and nearly everything coming out of China is metric. Brexit notwithstanding, British pubs will eventually stop selling beer in pints in favor of 50 or 60 centiliters. Wine has already gone that way there. Their pint is kind of crazy anyway, being 20 oz. instead of 16. The pint's a pound, the world around, don'tcha know.;)

One way or another, it's coming. We can resist :steamroller:or we can go with the flow:beer:

Cheers!

See, that's why Chinese kids score so much better in math than kids in the U.S. They don't have to spend all of third and fourth grade teaching them how to work with fractions! :)

Back