Tape Measure: I Don't Know How to Use It

Dad had one of these he picked up at the local tool company. We laughed about it. Don't even remember what happened to it. Probably one of the grand kids got a hold of it.
And yeah, crazy, the ebay prices people try to get for these today!

:idea: I never realized what I was missing not having grand children. Looks like they come in handy when you misplace things, or break things, find things you didn't know you had. :laughing:

No vernier scale but have you ever seen one of these?

I have seen one, in fact I thought it was Lee Valley Tools that carried it, but when I went looking I couldn't find it.

But I did find this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=65359&cat=1,43513,65359

Just what everyone needs!
You could make your own custom scale on it, like your very own "foot", with so many noses per foot.

-brino

Note that certain body parts are not suitable, as they may change in dimension.

I have one tape rule that measures in both inches and cm. It has a DRO and an IN/CM conversion button.

Tape Rule .JPG

My go-to tape measure is graduated in mm and Rack Units - one U is one and three-quarters inches...

Dave H. (the other one)

Note that certain body parts are not suitable, as they may change in dimension.

Yeah, as I've gone old and grey my nose and ears have grown bigger and hairier - it's an evolutionary adaptation so as you get slower and can't hunt so well you can sneak up on mammoths because they mistake you for one of the herd.

Dave H. (the other one)

I know years ago working on Federal construction jobs (like tunnels through a mountain) the metric tapes were required and not optional at all, strictly enforced. Our drawings were all metric, so the Gov specd all metric and they did not want us to convert obviously. I found it very advantageous, it sure did make the layout easier. Young people understand it better and catch on. The average modern idiot can't handle tenths much less converting metric. I was brought up 100% American though, I convert it in my head anyway. But at least with civil layout work it simplifies things.

I always got a chuckle out of watching one jerk know it all General Superintendent trying to shoot grades to show us up and measure in inches using a grade rod, no inches found on my grade rod. You can convert but there is no need. Then he asked to switch to a folding rule and still stared at it, I love giving them the ones without the inch type scale. The best part was he eventually spent two hours shooting grades with a tape measure in inches that meant nothing before I told him why his layout was so far off. He couldn't comprehend the elevations on the drawings. This guy made lots of money for some reason too. I hate working for a rich boss man who is a drunk, but its entertaining. He was sober that morning, but I think some brain cells were harmed already. :eek::confused 3::rolleyes:

Lufkin tape.JPG Some place around here I have a self-centering tape. One scale is inches and across from it is the 1/2 measurement. If you need to find the center of something you can direct read 1/2 of the number. It took me several tried to figure out what it was.

Last edited:
When I was in grade school they said we'd convert to metric. All the did was convert to both. Now it takes twice as many rulers and wrenches and spare nuts and bolts to make or repair anything.

I have a question for our metric pals. Do you ever get so your able to recognize what size a bolt or nut is?

Sure, it's easy. Plus, most metric stuff uses 10, 12, 13, 14, or 17 mm wrenches. That's usually it. Now, that wasn't hard, was it? :)

Back