Tap organization

As woodchucker mentioned Guhring taps are some of the best. However they are generally significantly more expensive than many other high-quality brands. I personally like Triumph, Chicago Latrobe, Cleveland, Precision, Morse, Greenfield, and YG-1. YG-1 seems to be an up and coming brand for both drill bits and taps. They are made in S. Korea

I have purchased both their drills and their taps in the last couple years and have been more than happy with their performance. I always try to buy American or European brands when they are available, but sometimes I need an uncommon size that isn't available from my preferred manufacturers.

Unless you're doing production work or using exotic metals I would stick to HSS taps. Drills can be HSS bright finish or steam oxide finish. They are less expensive and will give an excellent return on the dollar.

Last edited:
I really like YG-1 - same quality as the others at a lower price. All the taps I've ordered from McMaster in the last few years have been Widia - another solid brand.

GsT

The gun tap name applies since they shoot the swarf forward through the hole. They can be run at relatively high speed because they don't need to be backed off to break the chips like a hand or "straight flute" tap does.
Thanks for the comprehensive description on the advantage of a spiral/gun point straigh flute tap. I’ve read a bit more about them now. I’ll give them a try next time I order a tap!
…and it doesn't foul the tap which results in a duller tap quicker…
That sounds interesting!

…I like guhring, but I will buy anything from name brands…
Thanks for letting me know you like Guhring, I’ll have a look to see if they’re within my budget.

Thanks for your suggestions @projectnut !
”As woodchucker mentioned Guhring taps are some of the best. However they are generally significantly more expensive than many other high-quality brands. I personally like Triumph, Chicago Latrobe, Cleveland, Precision, Morse, Greenfield, and YG-1. YG-1 seems to be an up and coming brand for both drill bits and taps.”
Thats great to know you consider these quality brands, your suggestions are very helpful to me.
I really like YG-1 - same quality as the others at a lower price. All the taps I've ordered from McMaster in the last few years have been Widia - another solid brand.

GsT
Thank you for the suggestions!

Armed with a list of better quality brands that I’m now ready to upgrade from my cheap “Mastercraft” (Canadian Tire) tap set, when I see a good sale.

Armed with a list of better quality brands that I’m now ready to upgrade from my cheap “Mastercraft” (Canadian Tire) tap set, when I see a good sale.

Until and unless you need a larger assortment, don't ditch the cheap set. Buy good taps, and fill up the case.

When you need bins or a cabinet, yeah, ditch the case. But now and then use, when you really want that "full set"- The most valuable part of a set is the case. If you get to needing different flavors of every size, yeah, ditch the case. But if you just need a kit handy... Fill the kit with good taps one at a time. "Good" taps (and dies) do not come in sets. They might come in a set (taper, plug, bottom for example), but they won't come in a whole kit with all the common sizes in one case.

Thanks for the comprehensive description on the advantage of a spiral/gun point straigh flute tap. I’ve read a bit more about them now. I’ll give them a try next time I order a tap!

That sounds interesting!

Thanks for letting me know you like Guhring, I’ll have a look to see if they’re within my budget.

Thanks for your suggestions @projectnut !
”As woodchucker mentioned Guhring taps are some of the best. However they are generally significantly more expensive than many other high-quality brands. I personally like Triumph, Chicago Latrobe, Cleveland, Precision, Morse, Greenfield, and YG-1. YG-1 seems to be an up and coming brand for both drill bits and taps.”
Thats great to know you consider these quality brands, your suggestions are very helpful to me.

Thank you for the suggestions!

You will find certain sizes that you use a lot and buy those first. I use a lot of 1/4-20 so finding a few quality spiral point taps was a must. When you see what a spiral flute tap does you'll realize life really is better when the chips leave the hole .

No more back and forth to break the chip into small pieces. Generally you go right on through or to the bottom.

and with a regular tap if you have ever filled the flute up, and can't go forward, and can't go back (it's jammed) you'll appreciate the gun tap. when you get in that condition... patience... try some music wire if it can't be moved. stick the music wire down the flutes and try to push out what you can... also more lube after you push some chips out. try quick back and forth, you want that chip to break... you probably have a lot of chips and one that is peeled up trying to get into that flute.. if you can break it, you'll be able to back it out.. if not, it's wedged against the other chips.

I'm one of those members that's been hiding in the background for years and soaks up your knowledge and information. Thank you.

This discussion is the best! Organization, storage, and tap knowledge rolled into one. I love it.

Much of my tooling came from a lathe purchase about three years ago that I am learning to appreciate more each day. I'm an electrical engineer that did woodworking and carpentry/home construction as a hobby. Retirement and health limitations lead me to machining. I have worked at trying to be organized using inherited tool boxes, tins, small plastic drawer cabinets, shelves, etc for YEARS.

More recently, the taps and drills seem to be my biggest challenge and take up a lot of space. But then there is also the lathe and mill tooling plus accessories, and necessary hardware too (which I prefer to let the local stores keep organized and separated on my behalf). However, once everything is organized, it is a dream to be able to find what I need when needed.

I finally broke down and purchased a rolling tool chest from Harbor Freight (which is just AWESOME) and started filling drawers. Drawer dividers is now top of my want list but many sources can fill the need without spending a lot. The attached photos show where I am at today. The smaller drills are still a work in progress. I have hundreds of retired guage pin boxes from a manufacturing company that I hope to modify for the purpose.

Thanks again for your ideas and especially your knowledge of taps. I feel like I just gained a degree in the subject .

Ed H

Attachments

• 20230912_210808.jpg
    20230912_210808.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230912_211233.jpg
    20230912_211233.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 12
Back