Tap and die recommendations?

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi all, as I slowly deplete my retirement fund I'm in the market for a set of taps and dies. I can see some tool building in my future so will need to tap some holes.

I'm thinking these sizes are probably reasonable to start?
1/4"-20
1/4"-28
5/16"-18
5/16"-24
3/8"-16
3/8"-24
7/16"-14
7/16"-20
1/2"-13
1/2"-20

Any advice on sizes and brands?

I just bought a DeWalt set from Home Depot, it had everything needed, taps, dies, drills, tap /die handles for 6-32 to 1/4". I've used it a few times, no complaints. I think it was about $20. They make a similar set for larger sizes but it also costs a lot more.

The set I have is smaller than you mention, but if you are working with a mini-lathe I suspect you will be doing a lot more at the 3/16" and 1/4" size than 1/2". Don't forget you can turn threads with the lathe, that might be more cost effective on larger sizes than a tap & die.

Thanks Aaron, that's solid advice. I have to got to HD tomorrow. I'll scout around.

If I was going to buy a tap and die set for the hobby shop, I would spring for one with an adjustable round die set. This kind of die, aka split button dies, allow you to adjust the fit of the thread for potentially tighter tolerances. While it would be nice to own a HSS set, Sears used to sell a carbon steel set with a chromium coating (Kromedge) that extended the life of these tools for a fair price. They also sold these sets in HSS but I haven't seen an adjustable set in years. Here is one that is up for bids and it might be worth going for it just to have the dies, although the taps look to be in fair shape, too. Irwin Hanson also makes a nice HSS set at a higher cost than their carbon steel sets if you're interested. That Hanson set retails for over $500 usually; bet he would take $225.

The nice thing about button dies is that it is simple to make a tailstock die holder to fit them.

The big box sets are mostly made in China. For myself, I would avoid them.

Over the years I have accumulated a number of "sets" as well as some more esoteric sizes that were specific to instrument jobs, some fractional, some metric. They all are "HSS, high speed steel", I learned early on that carbon steel doesn't hold up well in heavy duty, repetitive use.

Some are (old) name brand U S made, some are chinese. They all work well enough for the occasional uses I have now. I couldn't comment on modern steel or chineseum used in repetitive use. Most of my work these days is on my models and contraptions. Brass or aluminium mostly, not much steel.

The only thing I can say for sure is to stay away from carbon steel sets if you are working anything tougher than brass. Take a chunk of 2X4 and drill a row of holes on the edge. Whenever possible, spend the money for good quality, U S made HSS individual taps as they are needed. It will pay off in the long run. Cost more, a lot more, but it's spread out over time so it isn't that painful. Taps are not too bad, it's the dies that cause my gut to clench up. And yes, the adjustable dies are worth the extra cost.

Further, I would look at smaller sizes, Nrs 12 ,10, 8, 6, as well. And/or metric equivs. Nr 6-32 and 8-32 are very common in electrical fittings. I have down to Nr 3/0, 000-120, but those are specific to my models and have very little real world use beyond optics. There is little use for stuff larger than 1/2", rare except for pipe sizes. 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 pipe sizes are quite handy for electrical and plumbing.

One last shot: The world is going metric, fast. So, unless you are working on something old or specificly fractional (like old cars or fence fittings) I would try to build a set of metric sizes first.

Bill Hudson

.​

Are you looking for good taps ?

Not sure if this holds true in Canada, but in the the US and with the beauty of next day shipping, I just buy what I have a specific need for. Why pay for Taps/Dies in sizes that you might never use.

I second a nice set of Hanson's.

Back