Tangential tool

Is this the same thing in this Video ?
If it is, then damn, I need to fire the Mill up and get to makin one of these things. Looks like they use 1/2 Hss bits. And heavy cuts too.

[video=youtube;xUAPrkC7Q-Q] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUAPrkC7Q-Q&feature=related [/video]

Is this guy cutting steel or what here.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
In my Machinery's Handbook 17th edition there are holders on pg 1565 there is a section called "Solid Sintered Inserts and Their Holders". These are all Tangential tool holders that are setup to use solid carbide blanks. This edition is from before the modern inserts that we are more familiar with.
I have been looking at these for a while as I have approx 30 kilos of 1/8" diameter 1 1/8" long carbide blanks. I think I am going to make this holder in the new future.

Paul, that is a free machining steel, 12L14 or something similar I'd say. That is a tangential tool holder. No reason you couldn't build one.

Tony
I think I will build one of those. Im looking around trying to find the details about the angles, like rake and the side angle? if there is any. Must be a few degree,s

It doesnt look like its much problem to build, I just need to find a bit more infro before I get started. I like the idea of only one angle to cut and sharpen on the cutter, That has to save time right there.

Ive heard of these over the yrs, but never paid any attention to them. But , I seen that vid on you tube, yup that got my attention all right. Looks like a very handy item to add to the tool collection.

Paul 8)

Rather than reinvent things, Bill should be able to give the specifics of his tool. He had a good setup to mill his. When I have made one, I used the butt ends of carbide endmills and smaller drill blanks, so the structure is a little different, but same in principle. I gave mine 5 deg in both axes. It looks like bill is using a bit more in the one cut I can see his vise index. Looks like about 15 deg. Maybe he'll post his details. I'd think about 5 to 7 deg in both axes would give enough clearance. That should give front and side clearance, then you grind your own rake, to suit material.

Regarding angles involved: Some places I looked said 12 degrees, some said 15, that the 12 was not enough. I ended up 14-15, and it works fine. I don't know if more or less would be better. So far, my only complaint is that sometimes the tool bit slips in the holder. I need to tighten the screw and/or touch up the cutting edge when this happens.

Getting the angles was a challenge with equipment (and knowledge) I have. I ended up clamping a vise in a 4 jaw chuck on a rotary table. Made a tall, ugly stack that worked for me. Surely there is a better way.

Bill

After doing alot of shearching around, and reading, I think Im ready to build on of these tool holders. The standard complait it seems to be the tool bit slipping down under moderate cuts.
These tool holders seem to have one thing in commom, and thats what appears to be a single bolt with a washer under it to hold the tool bit.

In the vid I posted, if you look at it closely, the clamp to hold the tool bit looks like its more than enough to do the job. I addmit, it may well be a bit over kill for most, but I think over kill is still better than not enough.

For those of you that have seen the lathe I have, should understand why I would go this route. Im also going to build this to take 1/2 bits. Maybe a bit large for some, but I do use a
CXA tool post most of the time and I use 3/4 tool holders mostly.

I dont really need one of these tool holders, but as mentioned before, Ive never really paid attention to them before. Now I want to make one, just to find out how well they work. Ill get pics posted up of the tool holder when I get into this, should be over this weekend.

Paul 8)

I have one of the Diamond tool holders from Bay Com. It works really well. It comes with a fixture to hold the bit while grinding. The tool itself is a bit on the "rough" side but it does work as advertised. I use it primarily for roughing and then switch to warner hss inserts for finish work. Most of my turning is 416 stainless.

EarlH

If you have the same tool holder as shown in the Video, could you post up some pics of yours? Im interested to see some detailed pics with the tool cutter out, to show the clamping arrangement better. Any and all pics would be good, even the fixture to sharpen the bits, but not a primary concern for me.

Thanks
Paul

Back