Tangential tool

billinecin

Registered
Registered
I'm starting to make one. Purchased ones all seem to use 1/8 or 1/4 tool bits AND are expensive. I want to use 3/8 - just because. Have a piece of John Deere green mystery metal big enough to make the tool from.

Search of this board brings up no results. Has anybody made one? Has anybody bought one? Am I wasting my time? What are your thoughts on ones you've either made or bought?

Thanks,
Bill

It's a way to hold a tool steel square at a fixed angle to keep you clearances stable and save a lot of grinding. Some people love them. Here's an article:

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html

It holds the bit "endways" or "on end" so all you grind is the "face". It is held like a line tangent to the diameter of the part.

Years ago I built a variation of this, but using drill blank material for radius work in corners. And yes, before you tell me....I know it wasn't a true radius. But it was all within tolerance. ;)

One of those is on my "must have" list. I've read nothing but good things about them.

It's started. Has changed from a green steel chunk about 1" x 2 1/2" x 6" to the approximate desired shape in a whole lot of light cuts on the mill/drill. Some more roughing to do, then finish to fit QCTP. Then try to cut the compound (wrong word?) angles for the tool bit to fit into. Then make a clamp. Then see if I can grind necessary angles on tool bit. Then see if it works.

At least that's my plan.

So far, just a bunch of simple rough cuts. May get interesting in the days to come.

Bill

No Bill, that's exactly the right word. Probably the trickiest part of making this tool. If you can, it would be good to take pictures of your setup, and a few along the way for the group. These projects always stimulate thinking on setups and people who have never done work like this often have no idea how to go about it and can learn a lot.

Thanks Tony. Pictures are being taken. Next step will be to learn how to post them.

Tool is progressing nicely. It's ready for the angles and fitting tool bit to slot.

Bill

It's done. Cuts great if I do a good job grinding the tool bit. I have pictures if I can get them to post.

Bill

Finished product.jpg Start here.jpg Cutting to size.jpg Compound angles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mnmh, I've had very good results with a propane torch and used motor oil for blackening parts. Mostly on mystery metals, too.

The best one was a pin I made to repair an airsoft gun for a coworker. I used a 308 stainless steel S.H.C.S., and turned it down. Heat with the torch, and plunge it into the oil until cool. I always do it twice (no particular reason why, it just seems right), and it comes out with a reasonably durable surface that's nicely blackened.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Nice tool holder, Bill.

Back