Tailstock on grizzly g0602 very stiff

Maybe, you need to disassemble the complete unit and check each piece for fit. What I mean is take threaded section out and check the threads. I would then thread it into the quill and check to see how they mate (both pieces are out of the tailstock). Next I would see how the quill slides into the tailstock. See if it slides easily, if so, you may have an alignment problem (threads to quill when installed). If you break it into steps I think you will be able to determine where the problem lye's. Tail stocks should work freely, almost moving by itself with were little resistance.

Hope this helps.

Paul

tailstock was hard on mine because of that threaded screw on top.

Threaded screw fits in slot/groove of tailstock. keeps it from rotating.

Closely looked at threads that fit in groove, show mangled threads
near bottom where it could contact groove.

Replaced it, then honed tip as flat as possible, sort of like a set screw part.

Like I go to use the machine, simple turning, then drill hole...tailstock is useless.

Why should I need to fix something, each time I use that lathe?

Charl

Like I go to use the machine, simple turning, then drill hole...tailstock is useless.

Charl

Charl, did cleaning up the screw fix that problem?

If there is a slit in the bore,using a cylinder hone would likely get the bore out of round or off center. Be careful. Check everything else first.

It is possible that the cast iron closed a bit after boring,though. This is a bit of a tricky problem.

I rebuilt lathes years ago. One lathe was not bad looking at all. But,it was completely worn out from only using it to polish candlesticks at a foundry. I had to recut the bed. The tailstock ram was worn too small,and the bore no doubt bellmouthed too. I put the tailstock,lightly clamped in FRONT of the carriage,so the power feed would move it along. I put a heavy boring bar in the chuck,and carefully took light cuts in the bore. Then,I made an oversize ram(quill,actually) that fit the bore. I made a left hand Acme tap and tapped the end of the quill. I used a #2 MT reamer to finish ream the quill in situ. The tailstock worked fine after that.

The G 0602 has a set of binders the lock the ram on the tailstock. Remove them and see if the problem still exists? If the problem goes away your problem is this set of binders. They are not letting the ram completely loose.

"Billy G"

What Paul said earlier is the exact way I'd go about it. After locating what is binding the quil then a fix should be easy.

Steve

Maybe, you need to disassemble the complete unit and check each piece for fit. What I mean is take threaded section out and check the threads. I would then thread it into the quill and check to see how they mate (both pieces are out of the tailstock). Next I would see how the quill slides into the tailstock. See if it slides easily, if so, you may have an alignment problem (threads to quill when installed). If you break it into steps I think you will be able to determine where the problem lye's. Tail stocks should work freely, almost moving by itself with were little resistance.

Hope this helps.

Paul

I think Bill might be onto something here. I'm not familiar with the model of the lathe,but it is entirely possible that binders might not be free enough in their holes to be letting go of the quill. Or,there could be a misalignment in the bolt holes in the binders,causing them to get stuck on the bolt,not freeing the quill. I have seen this happen before.

I assumed this tailstock had a slit from what post #1 said about wedging the slit open.

Charl

Don't modify things unless you know the problem. Measure the OD of the ram for any large spots, if so, address them. Then inspect and measure the bore ID. If there are any high spots in the bore, then hone. Don't go at the bore if the tailstock ram is the problem, it may not be perfect round after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The G 0602 has a set of binders the lock the ram on the tailstock. Remove them and see if the problem still exists? If the problem goes away your problem is this set of binders. They are not letting the ram completely loose.

"Billy G"

I have had it apart many times now and have not seen any "binders". I did use the hone lase night and it is much better, but not acting as a precision tool by any means. I was very sparing with the master cylinder hone and kept it moving at ll times.

brian

The problem with a hone is it leaves scratches. Well the cylinder hones I have do any ways. You dont want scratches.

Dykum the whole thing and find where it's rubbing if rubbing is the issue

Back