Tailstock on grizzly g0602 very stiff

bstanga

Registered
Registered
The tailstock on my g0602 is very tight and is a pain to use on fine drill operations. I've taken it apart several times and cleaned and lubed. It seems that when I drive a screw driver in the gap to wedge it open a little it works smoothly. Any ideas on a fix?

I don't have a lot of experience working with metal, but I was wondering if I did get a proper wedge and not just a screwdriver and drove it in a few times do I run the risk of splitting it open ? Is this cast iron? It is a grizzly g0602 I notice other parts of the lathe will chip very easy this is why I am hesitant to just "wedge away at it".

If I had one of them old cylinder hones might be able to bore it out a little.

Brian

Yes, I was going to suggest a brake cylinder hone. Can you polish up the shaft? You could inset it in the lathe a use maybe a 1,200 grit paper and clean it up. I would not keep wedging with the screwdriver you are asking for trouble. Another thing you could try is to make your own flapper type sander for the tailstock. Take a rod and slice it down the center and insert a piece of fine paper, maybe a piece 1 x 2 inch or so and roll it till it fits in the tailstock now use a hand drill to spin in an out.

Maybe, someone else has some better advice.

Paul

I would go to my local Napa and get a brake cylinder hone and give the tail stock a good bore cleaning. Prying open the slot will break the casting for sure so don't even stick a screwdriver in it anymore. The brake hone with a little oil will work wonders on it pretty quick and leave a nice smooth polished looking finish too. Lube everything up and re-assemble, should be smooth as glass when you extend or retract it.

Bob

I would certainly confirm that the bore in the casting was smooth and free of bugs. However, I would be very reluctant to start opening up the bore because that casting is the more expensive of the two parts; casting and ram. The ram can be polished easily with fine emery cloth. If you screw it up, a replacement will be cheaper than the casting.

Also, verify that the anti-rotation dog screw isn't bottoming out, the milled keyway in the ram isn't bugged and that the tailstock feed screw is a smooth fit in the ram. These are several reasons why a tailstock might be too snug.

I would certainly confirm that the bore in the casting was smooth and free of bugs. However, I would be very reluctant to start opening up the bore because that casting is the more expensive of the two parts; casting and ram. The ram can be polished easily with fine emery cloth. If you screw it up, a replacement will be cheaper than the casting.

Also, verify that the anti-rotation dog screw isn't bottoming out, the milled keyway in the ram isn't bugged and that the tailstock feed screw is a smooth fit in the ram. These are several reasons why a tailstock might be too snug.

This makes sense, I'll hold off on honing out the bore. as for the dog screw I made sure it was not to tight. The bore is very smooth and shinny. What I will do when I get home is pull it apart and see if the dog screw fits in the anti-rotation groove. if it does I'll chuck it up and lightly sand the quill. Oh the feed screw is a good fit and turns with no resistance

Thanks to all for the reply's
Brian

Keep us posted on how the project goes and some pics would really help a lot too. I also did not advocate removing a lot of material. just a thousandth to see if that helps. If you put the ran in the tail stock it should drop smoothly to the bottom, keep adding parts till it gets stiff and go from there.

Bob

You say the feed screw is a good fit and turns with no resistance. It may spin freely in the tailstock casting but how does the thread fit in the ram?

My g0602 is the same way ... smooth as glass and easy the first few times i used the tail stock .. after tightening it a few times using a center its a bit stiff ... not overly stiff but it does take a bit of effort to crank it with the small handles .

I am going to fix mine with a bigger wheel and handle .. leverage is the key

Not trying to be a smart alec, but you aren't over tightening the handwheel center nut are you? (Don't ask why that came to mind. :whistle:)

Tom

i havent over tightened mine .. but then i dont feel my quill is extremely stiff either , a bit bigger wheel and handle to help out is all it needs , mostly to help the old arthritus

Back