Table Question

jmltinnc

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

Full disclosure: I am a Newb. Just bought a mill a month ago and just today cleaned the Cosmoline off the table. I have no means to move a knee mill so I had to settle for a tabletop and all its disadvantages. It is a Weis VM25L that is very much like the PM-25MV, so I think this sub-forum may be an appropriate place to post my question - an easy one to answer (I hope)!

When cleaning, I noticed the X-axis Support Flanges (Ref numbers 33 & 40 in the PM-25MV book) are not mounted to provide a flat surface beyond the table itself. These Support Flanges are the ends of the table that support the X leadscrew. One side is higher than the table and the other is lower.
  • Is this acceptable?
  • Does it really matter?
  • Has any ever had this problem?
  • Can I just loosen and reposition or is there something else I should be aware of?
That's it, thanks,
John

Hi All,

Full disclosure: I am a Newb. Just bought a mill a month ago and just today cleaned the Cosmoline off the table. I have no means to move a knee mill so I had to settle for a tabletop and all its disadvantages. It is a Weis VM25L that is very much like the PM-25MV, so I think this sub-forum may be an appropriate place to post my question - an easy one to answer (I hope)!

When cleaning, I noticed the X-axis Support Flanges (Ref numbers 33 & 40 in the PM-25MV book) are not mounted to provide a flat surface beyond the table itself. These Support Flanges are the ends of the table that support the X leadscrew. One side is higher than the table and the other is lower.
  • Is this acceptable?
  • Does it really matter?
  • Has any ever had this problem?
  • Can I just loosen and reposition or is there something else I should be aware of?
That's it, thanks,
John
Addendum:

After looking at the parts explosion page for the table more closely, I see that the flanges are registered with tapered pins. I don't know why they would be tapered, so that is another question perhaps can be answered.

Another would be (say there is no "adjustment" because of the pins), is the answer just to mill the high side level with the table and leave the low side alone?

Again, thanks.
John

I would say that the taper pins are for the alignment of the lead screw supports. The leadscrew needs to run parallel to the axis. As far as milling the top off those I would imagine you could do that, but will it affect the operation of the mill? I can see where it would be nice to be able to mount a part on the table and not have those in the way. The question is how often will that happen? Or will you be putting the parts on supports so you can work the sides. Think carefully before you do anything like that. It is far easier to remove material than to put it back. Remember this was my two cents worth so take it as just that! I'm sure that others will be along to help with your questions also. Oh and congrats on the new machine! :)

I think you answered my question. As I have been about a mill only once or twice, operating without proper knowledge, I never thought to check the support to table height for any variation - I just presumed the supports were part of the table, therefore the same height to the highest precision the manufacturer would muster for that mill model. From your comments, my take-away it that it is not an issue.

Thank you.
John

My inclination is to leave them as is. The only issue that might arise is if you wanted to work on a piece that was longer than the table. In that case, you could place a piece of mdf or plywood under the work to lift it above the bracket. If the amount the the one bracket isabove the table isn't too great, you could mill it or grinf down for clearance. It needn't be a precision job; you just want to remove enough material to eliminate interference. The bracket that is below the table is fine.

Addendum:

After looking at the parts explosion page for the table more closely, I see that the flanges are registered with tapered pins. I don't know why they would be tapered, so that is another question perhaps can be answered.

Another would be (say there is no "adjustment" because of the pins), is the answer just to mill the high side level with the table and leave the low side alone?

Again, thanks.
John
Zooming in on a photo of the Weiss VM25L, it appears that the flange is below the surface of the table:

VM25 Left.jpeg
VM25 Right.jpeg

(I apologize for the quality of the images, but the Weiss website doesn't have large photos)

The tops of the bearing flanges/mounts on my Mini-Mill are about 0.8mm (thickness of a 6" rule) below the table. Is it possible that you have the flanges swapped? I don't know why (or how, for that matter) there would be a difference between the two flanges, but . . .

You can always go back to the vendor and see if they have run into this before, included the wrong parts, etc.

A picture or two or 3 would help a lot. Does the table bind up when you screw the table to the end of the travel? If they do remove the brackets and take out the pins. Some Asian worker put them in before he aligned the brackets. Once you remove the pins leave the cap screws loose but a little snug and cranks the table to the far end of the travel on both ends, one at a time, once the bracket is all the way in or closer too the feed nut then tighten the cap screws. Once you have both ends aligned then ream the taper pins a little deeper or drill a little bigger and put in spring pins. If the brackets are higher then the table, that is another mistake. They should be lower so you can lay long parts on the table that overhang the ends. A picture would really help with that. Here is a picture of a Weisse.
1668291472165.png

Last edited:
Its the pedestal, but the machine is the same as a table top. I am a machine repairman by trade and can help you on the phone if you need it. Private message me your phone number and I can call you.

Its the pedestal, but the machine is the same as a table top. I am a machine repairman by trade and can help you on the phone if you need it. Private message me your phone number and I can call you.
That's a WBM45 (I assume the "B" is for Base); it's larger than the OP's WM25:

VM25-vue-face.jpg

Back